Home Runs and Strikeouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Perfect example of strategic small ball being the difference maker in our game yesterday. Dd soft-slaps to 3B and is safe at 1B. Proceeds to steal 2B. Next batter ground out to 2B - dd advances to 3B. Coach calls for the squeeze and batter gets it down perfect. We score the go ahead run. Much more fun to watch when players actually have to execute. Maybe not as “cool” as the HR, but definitely exciting to watch it play out.

Other team was full of long ball hitters.

Jun 27, 2018
Marriard

DD was told by her hitting instructor a few years ago - "offensively in softball you can either be fast or you can hit it over the fence... and you are not fast."

I think our kids have the same hitting instructor. That’s exactly what my DD was told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
I think some of you missed the part where MLB stated they needed to do something about the juiced ball.
Nope didn't miss it.. and that is a factor (maybe THE factor) for the HR numbers but that would be one hell of a "juicing" in order to be able to account for the strikeouts

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Makes sense. Hitters are being taught to swing for higher launch trajectory. This reduces the area that the bat is on plane with the ball. This is indeed creeping into softball. A lot of line drives are outs. Home runs are not. Even though you may reach base more often. It is still so difficult to score from the bases.

Whoa...this is exactly the opposite of true.

Swinging with a slight uppercut puts the bat on plane for a longer period of time. This is true even in softball (because the ball is dropping despite what some believe).

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
It is starting to make its way into softball. DD has been to a couple of camps where the hitting philosophy of the program is flyballs, HRs and "we don't care how much you strike out as long as you are hitting in the air".

One coach told me they would prefer a strikeout with the hitter swinging for the fences when there are runners on 2nd & 3rd with 1 out instead of a groundball to 2B.

We we're just at a visit where this was basically said also. They want you to hit 10 to 12 HR's and not too worried about strikeouts. And they were heavily into metrics and video.

Sep 9, 2019
Whoa...this is exactly the opposite of true.

Swinging with a slight uppercut puts the bat on plane for a longer period of time. This is true even in softball (because the ball is dropping despite what some believe).

They are teaching more than a slight uppercut. Not on plane with the slight downward trajectory of the pitch. Your diagram is on plane which makes sense. Increase your drawing to a 26 to 45 degree swing angle. That is the point.

Jun 7, 2016
So Coach JD explain to me again how a pitch released from the pitchers mid-thigh, say 30" high and travels to the letters of a 5-9" batter, say 50" off the ground, is dropping. I understand that gravity is pulling the entire way, but that ball is not falling, rather is fighting gravity on an upward parabolic path.
I am no expert on any matter softball but the idea of duplicating the swing angle of MLB players is ludicrious given the the obvious differences. Further, it seems to me that most TB coaches spend too much time vomiting YouTube guru advice to every player without considering the abilities of the player as an individual.
I watched in Myrtle B this summer a team (Wildcards, I think) where half the team could outrun UBolt and the other half could drive the ball. The coach maximized the abilities of the athletes' talents he had in a given situation. To me, that was mighty fine coaching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom