HLP vs the High level movement pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
How is it not torque? That is applying a force 90 degrees to the lever no? Serious question Im trying not to hurt my head here haha.
The two forces (equal in direction and magnitude in this case) of hands acting do result in a moment about any other point than the points where the forces act (COG for example) so I guess technically you are correct...accept for those two points. You have to define where your moments are being taken about.

When you said applied torque I was thinking more along the lines of two opposite directed forces of the hands which could be thought of as a torque applied directly to the handle.

Again for the first case, how you hold the bat will determine how much rotation of the barrel you get. If your hands are rigid, the barrel won't rotate at all (you can move the bat in the way you mentioned without getting any rotation of the barrel..it gets harder to do so the faster you move it)

Oct 2, 2017
The two forces (equal in direction and magnitude in this case) of hands acting do result in a moment about any other point than the points where the forces act (COG for example) so I guess technically you are correct...accept for those two points. You have to define where your moments are being taken about.

When you said applied torque I was thinking more along the lines of two opposite directed forces of the hands which could be thought of as a torque applied directly to the handle.

Again for the first case, how you hold the bat will determine how much rotation of the barrel you get. If your hands are rigid, the barrel won't rotate at all (you can easily move the bat in the way you mentioned without getting any rotation of the barrel)
This is what I'm thinking of,

Jun 8, 2016
Of course it is possible for the hands/forearms to apply force in such a way that they apply a direct torque to the handle while also resulting in linear motion (eg a nonzero resultant force in a direction)

Oct 2, 2017
Of course it is possible for the hands/forearms to apply force in such a way that they apply a direct torque to the handle while also resulting in linear motion (eg a nonzero resultant force in a direction)
What would be a visual example of that?

It done gone scientific :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
This is where I was off for a long time. The barrel had too much loop in it causing a difficult path to the ball. By loading the back muscles and loading the hands a specific way, we were able to take the big loop out of the swing. This all fell in to place understanding the forearm position and TTB perpendicular to the forearm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles