HLP vs the High level movement pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Clem, what is your point ?
My point is that Cruz and Miggy have a different hand action than what Albert demonstrates should happen. What Albert states as wrong is him saying Miggy and Cruz are doing it wrong.

Edit: I personally think its plain that Nelson applies torque. Just more out front in his high tee swing. In his live swing he is applying that same torque just earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS
Nov 26, 2020
This has been hashed over so many times already on here. Some think the body gets the barrel turned without any conscience effort to do it with the hands/forearms while others think the hands are directly involved. That is what it boils down to and we can discuss it from now till the end of time and nobody is going to change their mind.
I pretty much agree - whatever cues work for you, go for it

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If we are trying to match the best why not try to duplicate the hand/arm movements ?

ENnopbP.gif

fDmr7X8.gif

Oct 2, 2017
If we are trying to match the best why not try to duplicate the hand/arm movements ?

ENnopbP.gif

fDmr7X8.gif
100% agree. I like this video here. Imo only, torque aids in the action he is doing especially when 2 hands are applied.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Listen to what Reggie is stating, not what Jeff wrote. Reggie is stating pretty much what Ian stated. I'm focusing on their path. The difference that needs to be taken into account imo is that these players have active hands. Most young players that I see do not have active hands or borderline not active enough. They are dead. I say that because you can do what he says and what ian states and still not got palm early in the zone like they do or in the position they get to. Hence elbow drag.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Listen to what Reggie is stating, not what Jeff wrote. Reggie is stating pretty much what Ian stated. I'm focusing on their path. The difference that needs to be taken into account imo is that these players have active hands. Most young players that I see do not have active hands or borderline not active enough. They are dead. I say that because you can do what he says and what ian states and still not got palm early in the zone like they do or in the position they get to. Hence elbow drag.

I don't disagree about getting the hands involved. I don't know if the active hands will fix bat drag though.. I think that's more of improper use of the arms to swing the bat around the body..

Its hard to drag the hands if the core contraction leads from a leveraged position.

0trijCT.gif

k4xI3PF.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I don't disagree about getting the hands involved. I don't know if the active hands will fix bat drag though.. I think that's more of improper use of the arms to swing the bat around the body..

Its hard to drag the hands if the core contraction leads from a leveraged position.

0trijCT.gif

k4xI3PF.gif

Bingo!!! Ding ding ding!!! 😎😎💯💯

Oct 2, 2017

0trijCT.gif

k4xI3PF.gif
I didn't say active hands alone will fix it. I'm simply stating it goes a long way and is very much a big culprit. I think we just have a different view of what "Active hands" means

What are the hands doing when you "Contract the core"? The hitters above didn't just contract there core and magically their hands get into position, without drag. It won't happen in either pattern either.