HLP vs the High level movement pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
HLP, forcing barrel turn to generate bat speed behind you.

fDmr7X8.gif

Vs

High Level Movement Pattern (HLMP), Swinging "down to"

pdPgVDu.gif

15Qukhb.gif
The one thing Albert says is wrong and not what he does and shouldn't do is the one thing being demonstrated in your gifs and he stated when the ball is brought to him, he wants to get the knob to stay inside (Demos the down chop) then he demonstrates the "wrong" way (As in your gifs) and says if I try to stay inside he can't get to that pitch.

The thing I have found in my own experimentation is that active barrel turn/torque applied with all the other body produces a path very close to those gifs. To me active torque from go turns into radial deviation. IMO

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The one thing Albert says is wrong and not what he does and shouldn't do is the one thing being demonstrated in your gifs.

The thing I have found in my own experimentation is that active barrel turn/torque applied with all the other body produces a path very close to those gifs. IMO

He's saying the same thing as miggy says and demos here.

xoXdWDe.gif

The focus should be on creating change in barrel direction ( centripetal to centrifugal) which allows for the barrel to whip past the hands from an adjustable hand pivot..

dxM8tbE.gif

Nov 26, 2020
DJ LeMahieu should be the poster child for TTB. Here I can actually see the barrel turning early.

Oct 2, 2017
He's saying the same thing as miggy says and demos here.

xoXdWDe.gif

The focus should be on creating change in barrel direction ( centripetal to centrifugal) which allows for the barrel to whip past the hands from an adjustable hand pivot..

dxM8tbE.gif
That's not the same hand action, though, from Miggy. Also he's not actually hitting ball so it looks a little different.

Nelson, Look at his hand position at the pause. The knob is facing out which makes the barrel completely flat, which would make his hand action to the ball different than what Albert suggest. I wish the Gif of nelson was so chopped. I do know that's a very high tee he is hitting on.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The player in blue doing one hand swing, is actively getting palm up?

I would say that is the result, but if one is trying to match the hand/barrel movements one should try to keep the hands back during the change in barrel direction.

2hoQ5IE.gif

vxBprBm.gif

Jun 8, 2016
This has been hashed over so many times already on here. Some think the body gets the barrel turned without any conscience effort to do it with the hands/forearms while others think the hands are directly involved. That is what it boils down to and we can discuss it from now till the end of time and nobody is going to change their mind.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
DJ LeMahieu should be the poster child for TTB. Here I can actually see the barrel turning early.

Yes, the HLP folks should be trying to match the movements and not force the barrel blur behind them.. He isn't forcing it.. The barrel gets turned on every swing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi