Hitting with foot out of the batters box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In a high school game the same plate ump made 2 "out of the box" calls that did not get disputed against slappers. We had video going (which by rule cannot be checked during a game) which clearly demonstrated that in both cases the batters had executed well and the front foot had not come down. Both calls benefited our side, and our coach took great pride in the fact that he knew the opponent, knew they would be slapping and had stressed this point with the PU before the game.[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=723919531053244[/video]

Whining about something at the pre-game is pretty pathetic and is usually ignored by a good umpire.

Mar 2, 2013
You don't call violations unless you are positive that they happened.

How many of you are willing to accept speeding tickets because the police officer thought you may have been speeding?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
In a high school game the same plate ump made 2 "out of the box" calls that did not get disputed against slappers. We had video going (which by rule cannot be checked during a game) which clearly demonstrated that in both cases the batters had executed well and the front foot had not come down. Both calls benefited our side, and our coach took great pride in the fact that he knew the opponent, knew they would be slapping and had stressed this point with the PU before the game.[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=723919531053244[/video]

This would be a good thread in its own right. Is this good coaching, or not? I would take pride if the slappers really were out of the box. But not if the calls were bad, as this one was.

Mar 2, 2013
I wouldn't be happy with myself as an umpire if I made that call and later saw that I penalized a highly talented slapper who clearly perfected her skill. Don't call violations unless your willing to bet your life (or close to it) that they occurred. It doesn't mean you don't step up and make necessary calls. It simply means you shouldn't get involved if your involvement is going to potentially lead to missed calls. The defense has the responsibility to execute outs without umpires unnecessarily helping them out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild