hitting the bottom of ball too much

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2010
Ontario, Canada
After a long winter of tee and soft toss work my 11 year old DD and I finally got to a batting cage for some live hitting. Her bat speed, power and timing has definately improved as last year she could not even make contact with any of the pitches at this particular batting cage. But she seemed to be getting under the ball a lot. (ie pop ups and fauling balls straight back). I tried to watch closely for her hands and shoulder dropping but could not really pick it out. Is there something else we should be working on or watching for to avoid this.

Thanks

Apr 27, 2009
The tees and soft toss do encourage some things that need to be worked out when facing batting cage or live pitching. I notice spinning out, lack of extension, dipping down for some and inability to hit higher or outside pitches, for some.

I would just do the batting cage a few more times and let the player adjust rather than over-thinking it at this point. I still hit in the cages after 20 years and some days I hit them good and some not so much.

When someone fouls a ball off straight back, he or she just missed it. Better to let the eyes adjust and make the correction.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Seeing the ball is the most neglected fundamental at all ages. When she begins to focus on the entire pitch, her eyes will slow the ball down making her less likely to rush her swing and pull off. Pulling off with the front side with high effort is one big cause of the barrel dropping through the swing.

Keep the entire pitch in the center of her face until after she makes contact.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I think the Total Control Batting balls are great for this. They provide immediate feedback to the hitter that they need to make contact with the middle of the ball. Anything off center results in a a ball that goes nowhere.

May 31, 2009
Like Screwball said...hit the batting cage a few more times before changing anything. Since she has just been hitting off a tee and soft toss all winter, she's just used to seeing a ball right there in front of her. It will probably take a few times hitting off the machine or lp for her eyes to adjust to a ball coming at her. JMO Also, make sure her head is staying still. If she's just getting a piece of the ball, then she's not following the ball all the way in.

Dec 11, 2010
I have a similar issue going on. Have been using the TCB balls at the end of practice. The procedure has been "hit 12 solid ones then you are done". (we slowly built up from 8).

For those of you using them, do you have any concern for number of hits on TCB's strong 13 year olds would get? I am lobbing them from about 15' so they don't get hurt hitting them. Am I right being nervous about how hard I throw them? Should I be limiting them to 12? Was thinking about getting some TCB hole balls so I could front toss a little faster and still get benefit of the girls needing to hit it square. Thanks all, ww.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Maybe its because her back shoulder is not dropping(shoulders rotating level may cause a pop up) or maybe her bat is level to the ground at contact. if you can get her bat angled Head towards ground/ hands up slightly higher it will help hit the ball on a line. Do you have video?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck