Hitting Mechanics Feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2009
She looks like she probably hit's it hard but the swing looks like a softpitch swing to me. IMO, there is too much movement. As she gets older, it will be hard to hit with that much movement in her swing. I like a wide stance and a small up and down stride. As little movement as possible but some kind of linear movement to get the timing and hips moving. JMO Good luck

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
She has a gate swing, meaning her hands and hips turn at the same time. It looks like she has been taught to take her hands-to-the-ball and swing with level shoulders. Neither of those cues are part of the high level swing. She also has bat drag (back elbow gets ahead of the hands), which is very common at her age.

Her swing taken as a whole, leads me to believe the deficiencies in her swing could be fixed fairly quickly. I can't explain it, but she looks like a hitter. The type hitter that could drive the ball, given the correct mechanics.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Can I get some feedback on this hitter. She is 12yrs old and has been hitting the ball pretty well but we are always looking ways to improve. Suggestions?

YouTube - Amanda hitting 09

I like her swing, though I do caution about her front foot and HIGH step. As it is a timing issue, concern will be to ensure she gets her front foot down to heel plant early enough to hit faster pitching as she gets older and has an early enough base to make a decision whether to swing or not. The other thing I notice is her head does in-fact track the ball, but on contact her head is still moving to see the balls flight. I like the batter to keep her head on contact, whether she hits it or not. I expect this may not be a problem for her, but check it.

Jul 14, 2008
I like her swing, though I do caution about her front foot and HIGH step. As it is a timing issue, concern will be to ensure she gets her front foot down to heel plant early enough to hit faster pitching as she gets older and has an early enough base to make a decision whether to swing or not. The other thing I notice is her head does in-fact track the ball, but on contact her head is still moving to see the balls flight. I like the batter to keep her head on contact, whether she hits it or not. I expect this may not be a problem for her, but check it.

As she moves up in levels her leg kick may fix itself.....and end up like this:

ok682v.gif

So I wouldn't focus on that to much this early in her development......especially if she's hitting the ball well at her current level........

There are a few other things slightly more pressing IMO....

In her first 2 swings her upper body gets to far infront of the rear knee a bit......

The last one is better and keeps her "behind the swing" a little better........

Aug 8, 2008
I would suggest she move her head forward at setup so that it is in front of the mid-line almost over her front hip similar to the clip of the ULL hitter in boardMember's post.

Don't let her move her head back while loading. She won't like it one bit. Her head, in the clips, moves back over her back leg and then moves forward and is moving forward after she initiates the swing and then moves backwards to help balance the push to contact. Notice how still the head of the ULL player is.

She will probably feel like she is hitting downhill or falling into toe touch if she tries this. There are a number of reasons why that is a good thing. It will probably shorten her leg kick without specifically addressing it. It also will likely help her load her lower body better. Worth a few cuts of trial and error.

Jul 21, 2008
Wellphyt what drills do you suggest for the bat drag. She has not been taught to take her hands to the ball and swing with level sholders. She is being taught to tilt the sholders to match the plane of the ball and rotate around front hip but she is 12yr old and don't always get it right.

Jul 21, 2008
Boardmember I see what you are talking about witht he hands leading the hips. We are currently working on back knee drive to start her rotation when she goes from toe touch to heel plant. Still a work in progress any suggestion on how to fix?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish