Hitting Drills Needed.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2011
I am looking for some hitting drills for my 10u DD team. I am looking for any drills that would improve all aspects of hitting. I appreciate your time and I hope to get some great drills to try.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
work with the hitting stick.
baseball-hit-stick.jpg

don't swing it. hold stationary over different spots and have them hit. Don't let them rush and hack away wildly at it.

Do soft toss with whiffle balls and then progress to golf ball sized whiffle balls\

hit off the tee at the field and try to drive it far (long tee)

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I have many, but I believe the best thing you can do at that age is show them how to throw correctly first, because if they don't understand weight shift correctly they will never be good hitters. Then keep is simple. Teach them the basics first.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I am looking for some hitting drills for my 10u DD team. I am looking for any drills that would improve all aspects of hitting. I appreciate your time and I hope to get some great drills to try.

The grip on the bat is the most overlooked but is an extremely important aspect in hitting. By developing the proper grip on the bat at an early age, the rest of the swing is then easier to develop as they grow.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I agree with Jim. That seems to be the first thing I have to fix when I'm working with kids. Bug squishing, wrist rollers and hands to the ball( casting) would be next on the list.

May 31, 2009
Lots of swing reps daily is one of the best ways to improve a young kids hitting. Kids don't get enough swings in at team practices, so if they want to become a great hitter, then it's important that they get in extra hitting time away from practice. A good soft toss machine for kids to use to work on their hitting is the ultimate hitting machine (Beebe Sports Inc.). It's fun to use and they can operate by themself. Great product to use as a hitting station at team practice, or can be used at home in the backyard or garage.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, to all of the above. Then, the infield throw drill, in the batters box. Always lay down a box and a plate, when working on the drills. I use white lawn chair straps from Lowes. I poke a hole in the end of the strips and secure the strips with a nail into the ground. It takes 30 sec. to set up the batters box this way.

I have 2 teen students right now, that I am not sure can ever be fixed because of bad mechanics that have been engrained over the years.

Jun 6, 2011
Thanks for all the great posts. This Forum has a lot of great people giving great advice. Would someone be able to explain the color ball hitting drill to me. I see some post about it but want to make sure I do it correctly. Thanks again for all the great posts.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
At that age I like the two ball drill, instead of the color. Soft toss two balls and call high or low. They must hit the ball you call. We also use two different color whiffle balls at that age and call the color to hit. At this age 90% of the work should be on a T working with the basic improvement of the swing. Even the great players on team USA spent many hours on T work. Sometimes they are a little agressive at that age. Do the drop ball drill. Hold a ball out about your head level drop it on concrete or a hard surface, they must hit it on the bounce up. This one I learned from Bustos. I like to use it on kids that have issues with a change up. Put a ball on the outside corner of the plate , I use a plastic milk jug I soft toss to my student and if I yell change up they must adjust and hit the ball off the milk jug. At this age I make them use the mattrix drill. I have them swing in super slow motion at least 10 times before they can do anything. I watch to see if they understand the basic parts of a good swing.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
SBFAMILY,
Great information i also use these drill when i give lessons. You guys are blessed to have Howard so close.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12