Hitting Concerns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
My dd's new coach is a certified Epstein instructor. I'm not that familiar with that type of instruction. My dd has been seeing a hitting instructor for the past year and really has developed a decent swing. She is taught to start like a ballplayer with the rear elbow about parallel with the ground and the front elbow pointing toward the ground. My concern is that the new coach has the team doing drills in which the bat rests on the shoulder and the elbow is placed in her hip. The girls are then told to hit a heavy bag sliding the bat off the shoulder to the bag. Tee work is done starting with the bat and elbow the same way. Her hitting coach has never had her do any drills where the bat starts on her shoulder. I'm concerned this may change her swing in a bad way. We have spent alot of money and time to get my dd where she is now. She currently bats in the 4 or 5 spot in the order. Are these drills normal?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Stop hitting a heavy bag.This is bad and can cause injury.Watch the Epstein Torque drill on youtube.This will give you and understanding of what the "coach" is trying to teach.I am in the process of using the Epstein teaching system with my 13yo DD.No heavy bag metioned or probably won't be mentioned.This is a progression drill (torque drill) leading up to game swing.Check out is web site.

Oct 12, 2009
The coach is taking a cookie-cutter, least common denominator approach that will probably help some of the kids but may hold others back or even cause them to regress.

Drills like these should be used when appropriate, but it doesn't sound like any assessment of who needs to work on what was done.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
About 8 years ago as a father of a 3rd grade son, I was the coach of a 3/4 grade recreation team. I had spent a lot of time trying to learn how to be the best coach possible. I had just gone to a coaching clinic where the coach suggested lining the kids up to go through the proper throwing progression with them all throwing at the same time. As I was walking around helping the kids throw properly, a kid politely said to me, "This is not what my pitching coach has taught me. My dad says that if anyone teaches me different, they should talk to him."

At first, I thought the kid had some chutzpah. But he was polite and matter of fact. Later I admired the wherewithall of a 10 year old to speak respectfully to an adult and hold his ground.

You have spent a lot of time with your DD to get her to the best place she could be. I think it is well within your right to respectfully talk to the coach to explain where your child is and what style you have been working on. If he is a responsible coach he will work with you and allow the exception.

Same thing happened to my DD last winter with her club team. In winter workouts the coach was teaching the linear method and I had spent a lot of time with her on the rotatonal method. We had a brief chat. He was gracious and set her up with other drills that would not intefere with her progression while he worked with the other players.

Oct 25, 2009
About 8 years ago as a father of a 3rd grade son, I was the coach of a 3/4 grade recreation team. I had spent a lot of time trying to learn how to be the best coach possible. I had just gone to a coaching clinic where the coach suggested lining the kids up to go through the proper throwing progression with them all throwing at the same time. As I was walking around helping the kids throw properly, a kid politely said to me, "This is not what my pitching coach has taught me. My dad says that if anyone teaches me different, they should talk to him."

At first, I thought the kid had some chutzpah. But he was polite and matter of fact. Later I admired the wherewithall of a 10 year old to speak respectfully to an adult and hold his ground.

You have spent a lot of time with your DD to get her to the best place she could be. I think it is well within your right to respectfully talk to the coach to explain where your child is and what style you have been working on. If he is a responsible coach he will work with you and allow the exception.

Same thing happened to my DD last winter with her club team. In winter workouts the coach was teaching the linear method and I had spent a lot of time with her on the rotatonal method. We had a brief chat. He was gracious and set her up with other drills that would not intefere with her progression while he worked with the other players.

That's the best suggestion.

Keep in mind that when practicing a whole team that there will be drills that are formation-type drills. In other words, everyone is doing the same drill. Kind of like the school cafeteria, it ain't how Mama cooks it.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
The Epstein website does list a video for "Impact (punching) Bag Drill". I haven't seen it so I'm not sure what it is, but it does say that it can take two days off the seven day hitting plan.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Stop hitting a heavy bag.This is bad and can cause injury.Watch the Epstein Torque drill on youtube.This will give you and understanding of what the "coach" is trying to teach.I am in the process of using the Epstein teaching system with my 13yo DD.No heavy bag metioned or probably won't be mentioned.This is a progression drill (torque drill) leading up to game swing.Check out is web site.

Are you using the CD-ROM?... or some other video? Just curious, I was considering getting the CD if it's any good.

Oct 25, 2009
We use a punching bag during the off season. As far as injury, any drill or tool can be misused. We haven't had any injuries. We used the bag for POC explosive impact, not for moving the bag as if it were a ball.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I have the CD-Hit your potential in just 7 days.I like it along the the videos demo on his web site.It works for us because its something I can understand and teach my DD.It is a starting point and wants my DD has the basic of a good swing we will progress from there.I needed help that I could afford.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid