Hitter out of the batter's box - new NCAA rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2013
RE: The leaving early calls

A few years ago, I was working a community league game solo. One of the coaches came to me between innings and complained that the other team's runners were leaving first early. I explained that I cannot see that when I'm watching the pitcher and I won't call something I didn't see.

Sure enough, next inning one of his own players was on first, pitcher separates her hands to start the pitch and the runner from first takes off. I could see her because she crossed into my vision running toward second while the ball was still in the pitcher's hand. Easy call. Dead ball. Runner is out on the lookback. Coach comes to me complaining that I just told him that I cannot see that. I said, "True I normally cannot see someone come off early, but this was so blatant it was an easy call. She's out." He went back and didn't say anything after that. Once the game is over, he came over while I was gathering my gear and said, "Thanks for making that call on my runner. I was trying to make a point with the kids." Not sure what point he was trying to make, but OK.

Feb 1, 2021

A few years ago, I was working a community league game solo. One of the coaches came to me between innings and complained that the other team's runners were leaving first early. I explained that I cannot see that when I'm watching the pitcher and I won't call something I didn't see.

Sure enough, next inning one of his own players was on first, pitcher separates her hands to start the pitch and the runner from first takes off. I could see her because she crossed into my vision running toward second while the ball was still in the pitcher's hand. Easy call. Dead ball. Runner is out on the lookback. Coach comes to me complaining that I just told him that I cannot see that. I said, "True I normally cannot see someone come off early, but this was so blatant it was an easy call. She's out." He went back and didn't say anything after that. Once the game is over, he came over while I was gathering my gear and said, "Thanks for making that call on my runner. I was trying to make a point with the kids." Not sure what point he was trying to make, but OK.
You've got to love it! Its just part of the "grand play" disguised as a game. Players, officials, parents, all have some impact on it whether we like it or not.

Sep 7, 2020

My guess would be you were playing favorites with the opposing team.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Oct 24, 2010
Though I will say I am OK with the penalty being a delayed dead ball and then a strike/defense takes result of play and not an automatic out. I can understand the argument that the penalty for being out of the box (however you define it) was too harsh.

How is it that player skill level has declined so much that, despite thousands of at-bats, the batter can't manage to keep both feet in the box? Why do the rules have to be changed to mollycoddle a specific subset of hitters?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
How is it that player skill level has declined so much that, despite thousands of at-bats, the batter can't manage to keep both feet in the box? Why do the rules have to be changed to mollycoddle a specific subset of hitters?
It isn't an issue of player skill. They grew up playing and learning under one set of rules and then had the rug pulled out from under them and a new rule put in place.

Oct 24, 2010
A fair point, [ETA] but not NCAA's rationalization by a long shot. :rolleyes:
I did suggest returning to the old rule, the one everyone else uses.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I love the leaving early topic!

DD had a coach that wanted them all leaving early.

Every once in awhile, an ump would call it. The coach would jump up and say “Come on- YOU CAN‘T SEE THAT!”

It always went down hill from there.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When during the game
The repercussion to breaking the rule is different pending the count,
The umpire will be put in the position to reiterate what the rule says.
With this count~this happens
With that count~that happens

My question is why?
WHY would the repercussion need to be different?

There are other times rules change pending situations on the field. Example infield fly rule.
Atleast thats explainable.

Or can swing and hit as many foul balls as you want
But trying to bunt with 2 strikes and goes foul its an out.
But with two strikes can still do a push/slash bunt and confuse the issue ;) cuz bat comes forward.

Can anyone explain why this new version of out of the box flucuates pending the count?

(maybe i missed reading a great answer to that?)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When during the game
The repercussion to breaking the rule is different pending the count,
The umpire will be put in the position to reiterate what the rule says.
With this count~this happens
With that count~that happens

My question is why?
WHY would the repercussion need to be different?

There are other times rules change pending situations on the field. Example infield fly rule.
Atleast thats explainable.

Or can swing and hit as many foul balls as you want
But trying to bunt with 2 strikes and goes foul its an out.
But with two strikes can still do a push/slash bunt and confuse the issue ;) cuz bat comes forward.

Can anyone explain why this new version of out of the box flucuates pending the count?

(maybe i missed reading a great answer to that?)
Oh just thot of a reason...
They want batters to have the opportunity to practice getting it right in games!
🙊🙉🙈
That 3rd time batter should really nail it...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles