Hitter out of the batter's box - new NCAA rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
Among other new rules I saw this - does this now make it much less of a penalty for slappers (or anyone else for that matter) out of the box unless they have two strikes on them?

If the umpire rules a hitter is out of the batter's box at the moment of bat-ball contact, delayed dead ball will be signaled, and the defensive team will have the option to choose either the result of the play or having a strike charged to the batter and all base runners returned to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch. If it is the third strike, the batter is declared out. This was recently clarified by the rules committee.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Among other new rules I saw this - does this now make it much less of a penalty for slappers (or anyone else for that matter) out of the box unless they have two strikes on them?

If the umpire rules a hitter is out of the batter's box at the moment of bat-ball contact, delayed dead ball will be signaled, and the defensive team will have the option to choose either the result of the play or having a strike charged to the batter and all base runners returned to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch. If it is the third strike, the batter is declared out. This was recently clarified by the rules committee.

But they still haven't fixed the part where a fraction of a millimeter of the batter's cleats can be touching a single grain of dirt outside the chalk and the batter is considered out of the box, have they?

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

For whatever reason I find this so tough to see as an umpire unless it is blatant (like stepping on the plate);

I struggle with the timing between making sure I have ball/strike and seeing the foot/bat contact. I generally concentrate on ball/strike on the first pitch to a batter, looking to see if there is the possibility of bad footwork and then work from there. Either way, I won't miss a ball/strike call - that is the priority.

This rule isn't going to help; I see it as rewarding bad technique as well as being extremely difficult to enforce consistently. Also, it will take a year or two to get into all the other rule books (or not) so that adds to the already long list of things people will complain about.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It clearly says
Batter go for it with less than 2 strikes.
Pending the count is silly.
imo
Makes it inconsistant.

Consistancy is better!

Oct 24, 2010
Personally, I liked the old rule of the entire foot had to be out of the box.
NCAA should go back to their old rule rather than trying to bandage their self-inflicted wound.

ETA:
The old rule is consistent with most (all?) other organizations.
The old rule is consistent with what it means to be on the line: dead ball territory, pitcher's circle, pitching lane, batted ball hits batter in or out of the box, etc.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles