Hits at practice, not games?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2019
Hello all, I'm looking for a little advice on game vs practice hitting. My daughter is playing jhs ball. She has only previously played this years summer league so she is relatively new comer to softball in general. Her current biggest struggle is hitting in games. She was getting hits in her summer league here and there but is struggling this season. At practice she hits the ball well against her teams pitcher and coaches. The HC has asked her "why dont you do that at games?" At home we do a short front toss session (10-15 balls) from about 25ft. several times per week. I vary speeds and try to paint the corners, high, low, etc. She'll miss one then hit 2-5 in a row then maybe miss another. Hits are mostly solid. In games her typical AB goes something like: 1st pitch, foul tip that comes upward off the bat, next pitch same thing but ball off of the bottom of bottom of the bat. Third strike swing and miss. I'm trying to decide if it's just nerves at the plate, or is there something wrong with what I'm doing with her at home that could be hindering more than helping her. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Apr 16, 2013
Don't overlook the importance of: First mechanics, Second lots of BP. If she's relatively new then her mechanics are probably not solid and can also change from swing to swing. Every bit as important is taking reps over and over and over again. Front toss is perfectly fine. You don't need to match a D1 pitcher's ability. They need to develop that hand eye coordination and be able to crush the ball every time they get a good one. My DD typically hits around 300 balls a week, not counting her team practices. I'll sometimes work on fooling her or mixing up speeds and locations, but by far and above it's just soft tossing meatballs right down the middle. See batting as a sharp knife that gets used a lot. If you don't keep it regularly sharpened, it will become dull and not nearly as useful.

i tell dd you cant hit it if you can’t see it. Make sure she is in a position to see the ball at contact my que is chin should be touching back shoulder around contact. If chin is closer to front shoulder at contact she can’t see the ball clearly or (pulling her head out) chin to back shoulder physically turns her head to where the contact is straight in front of her eyes.

Aug 20, 2019
i tell dd you cant hit it if you can’t see it. Make sure she is in a position to see the ball at contact my que is chin should be touching back shoulder around contact. If chin is closer to front shoulder at contact she can’t see the ball clearly or (pulling her head out) chin to back shoulder physically turns her head to where the contact is straight in front of her eyes.
Thanks for reply, that is one thing we have definately had to work on. She doesn't do it very often anymore, but every now and then her head will rotate with the swing. I like your idea of shoulders as a reference point.I think I'll steal that! Thanks.

May 6, 2015
Thanks for reply, that is one thing we have definately had to work on. She doesn't do it very often anymore, but every now and then her head will rotate with the swing. I like your idea of shoulders as a reference point.I think I'll steal that! Thanks.
I tell DD and other girls all the time "watch the ball hit the bat" and" dont worry about where the ball goes, if you make contact, you are running to 1B regardless, you do not need to see the ball after you hit it"

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Coach ask her why dont you do that in the game..

Dumb coach. Young ladies need to be encouraged not questioned.

I suspect during game she is sqeezing the bat tight forearm and attempting to swing harder and bat going under the ball. Set up pitching machine at 55 + and have her swing over the ball and progress down until she is hitting line drives. Looser griip too.

Aug 20, 2019
Don't overlook the importance of: First mechanics, Second lots of BP. If she's relatively new then her mechanics are probably not solid and can also change from swing to swing. Every bit as important is taking reps over and over and over again. Front toss is perfectly fine. You don't need to match a D1 pitcher's ability. They need to develop that hand eye coordination and be able to crush the ball every time they get a good one. My DD typically hits around 300 balls a week, not counting her team practices. I'll sometimes work on fooling her or mixing up speeds and locations, but by far and above it's just soft tossing meatballs right down the middle. See batting as a sharp knife that gets used a lot. If you don't keep it regularly sharpened, it will become dull and not nearly as useful.
You're right with the swing varying. She has started to settle in to a more consistent swing lately, but she is definitely still finding "hers". On her former team her coach really worked hard with all of the girls on their swings. That said there were only ten girls with 2 coaches so they had more time. Now in school ball their schedule is so crazy with 4-5 games a week and 2 coaches to 22 girls there just isn't the time for alot of 1 on 1. We will just keep practicing, thanks for the advice!

Aug 20, 2019

I suspect during game she is sqeezing the bat tight forearm and attempting to swing harder and bat going under the ball. Set up pitching machine at 55 + and have her swing over the ball and progress down until she is hitting line drives. Looser griip too.

I think you're probably right. I know she is still early in her learning curve, but know she is capable because I've seen her hit. I always tell her take a breath and relax like its practice. Easier said than done when you're in front of everyone and just want to get a hit so bad. Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish