Hit or Error

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 29, 2012
But does it have to be ruled a hit. In this case it really wasn't a "hit". The ball was fielded cleanly and if someone was covering 1B it would have been an out. No one misplayed the ball so there is no error. You can't punish and fielder on this play but why do you have to reward the batter?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
But does it have to be ruled a hit. In this case it really wasn't a "hit". The ball was fielded cleanly and if someone was covering 1B it would have been an out. No one misplayed the ball so there is no error. You can't punish and fielder on this play but why do you have to reward the batter?

Hit is the only option.

FC applies to attempts to put out preceding base-runners.

I wouldn't think of scorekeeping as an effort to judge the game (reward/punishment), but rather to report it using definitions that are objective as possible. The coach can do the judging by looking beyond the scorebook.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

As a pitchers parent these"hits" drive me crazy....

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

The ball was HIT, and the batter ended up on 1B without anyone else being put out, and without a physical error on the part of any fielder. I don't understand why some are so reluctant to credit a base hit. There are plenty of other circumstances where there will be a well hit ball paired with an exceptional defensive play.

I've found both as a coach and player that these things tend to even out over time. In one recent game, my kid out-ran an infield slow-roller that could have probably been fielded by somebody being more aggressive. On a later AB, she hit a rocket up the middle that was stopped by a "hey, look what I found" kind of play by the P.

IMHO...don't look for ways to rob players of credit. It's hard enough to hit the moving round ball.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

And it punishes the pitcher for an issue outside of his/her control.

Jun 11, 2013
It's a hit.

I really think that there should be a change to scoring to allow for mental errors. I hear that it's subjective, but so are many H/E choices. There will be gray areas, but at least you can prevent stupids from affecting stats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes