Hit by pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 24, 2020
Question:. My daughter seems to frequently get hit by pitch. One day at practice, her coach yelled at her in my opinion inappropriately "You have to make an attempt to move out of the way of the pitch, or the ump will call you out!". I honestly don't know sometimes if my daughter knows where the pitch is going to go. So she doesn't move, and she's planted. My question is how factual is it, that the batter would be out for not making an attempt to move? 10U player.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
The ONLY way she is going to be called out is if she is hit by a pitch that is in the strike zone and that pitch was also the third strike. At most, she would not be awarded 1st base if it were judged that she intentionally moved into the pitch. At 10U I don't think I would even keep a girl at bat for not trying to out of the way since my assumption would be that she was frozen.

Dec 24, 2020
The ONLY way she is going to be called out is if she is hit by a pitch that is in the strike zone and that pitch was also the third strike. At most, she would not be awarded 1st base if it were judged that she intentionally moved into the pitch. At 10U I don't think I would even keep a girl at bat for not trying to out of the way since my assumption would be that she was frozen.
She's not frozen. But just knows to take the hit. She's not leaning into a pitch.

Jul 31, 2015
It depends on the rule set, but generally, no attempt to get out of the way is required if she is inside the batters box and doesn't swing, as long as she isn't obviously trying to get hit.

She's not frozen. But just knows to take the hit. She's not leaning into a pitch.

Smart.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
At 10u, DD realized pitchers don’t throw very hard and it didn’t hurt. Or if it did, not for long. And by getting hit she got a free base. Safe to say her effort to move out of the way was on the low end.

Depending on the rule set, she does or doesn’t have to make an attempt to move to get the walk.

But I don’t know of any rule that says she would be called out by just standing there. Especially at 10u.

Oct 14, 2019
She should start practicing getting out of the way. A ball to the elbow, ribs or shin could ruin her day and make her afraid of the ball.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Depends on organizational rules - batter must make an attempt to get out of the way or the pitch will be called a ball (the batter won’t get called out as that coach screamed) - it is up to the blue to determine if an attempt was made or not- now way back when (I think back In 2012) this rule was changed for high school where no attempt needs to be made to avoid pitch to be awarded… quite honestly I’ve not looked at USA,NSA, PGF, or other rules lately to see which still require attempt and which don’t … for the most part in games Im involves with (14u and up) the players know how to take a pitch and protect themselves so I’ve not paid attention to the “frozen” rule… would be good if someone clarified which orgs (if any) still require an attempt to get out of the way…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
would be good if someone clarified which orgs (if any) still require an attempt to get out of the way…
NFHS and NCAA:

If the ball is entirely in the batter's box then no attempt to avoid is required, though a batter may not move into the pitch (the box belongs to the batter)

Ball not entirely within the batters box an attempt must be made, again no award if they intentionally move into the pitch.

A ball in the strike zone is simply dead ball, strike (the zone belongs to the pitcher)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez