Hit by pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
DD would love it if she got pitched inside enough to ever get a HBP. She is licky to ever see a pitch anywhere but outside unless it is a change or rise

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Should be easy to sit middle/out then, right? Oppo hits count too 😉

Dec 19, 2021
Twice in the last month I have seen the batter called back to the box by the ump after she got hit and was headed for first.

One of those it was visible to me that she twisted in a way so as to stick her elbow further outside of the box and basically into the ball's path. The other was less obvious.

I am glad to see a few umps calling it that way on occasion.

Aug 9, 2021
Teach her to not move out of the way and take one for the team and get a base. But at 10U I would also ask to go ahead and keep hitting at the at bat, if possible. Very rarely did the umpire not let the kids keep hitting at that age.

Aug 25, 2019
USA Rules:

F. (Fast Pitch) When a pitched ball, not swung at nor called a strike, touches any part
of the batter’s person including the hands or clothing. The batter’s hands are not
part of the bat.
Effect:
1 The ball is dead.
2 The batter is awarded first base.
Exception: If no attempt is made to avoid being hit, the batter will not be awarded
first base unless it is ball four.

I called it once last year, the pitch slipped out of the pitchers hand, rolled down towards the box and hit the batter in the foot. She could of easily moved but didn't. Coach learned that rule that day.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
So, to summarize so far:

NCAA, NFHS and USA batter must make an attempt to avoid being hit EXCEPT NCAA and NFHS if the ball is entirely in the box (box belongs to the batter)

I do not have USSSA code at hand, anyone have the citation?

May 4, 2014
So Cal
So, to summarize so far:

NCAA, NFHS and USA batter must make an attempt to avoid being hit EXCEPT NCAA and NFHS if the ball is entirely in the box (box belongs to the batter)

I do not have USSSA code at hand, anyone have the citation?

USSA was posted by JLI2010:

USSSA:
A batter shall not intentionally move to get hit by the pitch. PENALTY: The batter remains at bat (pitch is a ball or strike), unless the pitch was a third strike or ball four.

No mention of having to get out of the way.[/QUOTE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
When the ball’s a foot inside you’re not swinging at it. It’s basic pitch recognition.

You're either focused on hitting the pitch or avoiding it. If it's a foot inside, and anything but a change-up, you're probably not avoiding it. Nor should you. Wear it and take your base.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You're either focused on hitting the pitch or avoiding it. If it's a foot inside, and anything but a change-up, you're probably not avoiding it. Nor should you. Wear it and take your base.

I have two girls who very clearly first think "Is this pitch going to hit me?" before anything else. One is slowly getting away from it. The other has been playing (baseball) for a while but is fairly new to my team, so I've just started working with her on it.

It is incredibly difficult to change this mindset once it's ingrained in a hitter.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Bailing or striding too late?

One would slide her back foot away from home plate as a first move, then try to get back to where she needed to be on good pitches. Was late on everything.

The other just steps in the bucket, but in a bailing sort of way. She's not Khris Davis.

Neither do/did these things on the tee or when I pitch Lite Flites indoors because there is no fear of getting plunked/having it hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michellehopkins80