Hit By Pitch Rules By Sanctioning Body

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
I am hoping that someone can give me a quick synopsis of the expectations on a batter on a hit by pitch in various sanctioning bodies (NF, USA Softball, USSSA). It gets pretty confusing. My kid loves to wear pitches (and that makes me really proud), but she will sometimes get called back into the box on pitches that clearly aren't near the plate. This has happened twice in HS ball (NF rules) in just the last couple of games. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
There are still differences which is annoying. One of the things I always remind myself of before I umpire under XXX sanction. These are the two rule books I have on hand and online.

USSSA: (8-4-d)
- Don't need to try and avoid
- Cannot move into the pitch
- If it would have been a strike, it is a dead ball strike
- If i hits a lose garment (such as an untucked jersey) it is not a hit by pitch
USSSA does not have the batters box aspect of HPB.

NFHS/High School: (8-1-2-b) and also NCAA/College
b. (F.P.) a pitched ball is entirely within the batter’s box and it strikes the batter or her clothing. No attempt to avoid being hit by the pitch is required. However, the batter may not obviously try to get hit by the pitch.
c. (F.P.) a pitched ball (not entirely in the batter's box) not swung at nor called a strike touches any part of the batter's person or clothing. It does not matter if the ball strikes the ground before hitting the batter. The batter's hands are not to be considered part of the bat. If no attempt is made to avoid being hit, the batter will not be awarded first base unless it is ball four.
Basically in HS/College on the river inside-pitch you have to try and avoid or it will be called a ball (or strike) as appropriate.

Oct 11, 2018
Unless it has changed recently USA requires an attempt to avoid being hit by a pitched ball.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

ASA wording. Rule 8, section 1-F (see the exception)
  • (Fast Pitch) When a pitched ball, not swung at nor called a strike, touches any part of the batter’s person including the hands or clothing. The batter’s hands are not part of the bat.
Effect:
  • The ball is dead
  • The batter is awarded first base
Exception: If no attempt is made to avoid being hit, the batter will not be awarded first base unless it is ball four.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06