Hips or the Hands or both simultaneously(lets keep it simple)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Honestly ... what is taking place is a lot more simple than attempting to turn the barrel blindly into a rearward arc.

During the initial usage of the torso/hip-engine the upper lead arm is put on plane with the incoming pitch ... this pulls on the lead arm ... and the hands are working to turn the barrel in-line with the lead-arm.

I get what you are saying in terms of using the lead arm for direction but if you consider the ball to be a point in space you can draw an infinite amount of planes through it and hence every hitter crappy or not is getting his or her lead arm "on plane" with the ball..just choose an appropriate one ;)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Just so we're all on the same page, is this what we're all calling he "torso"....
apDcbRN.jpg

...and thusly, the legs play no part in "getting behind the ball"?

Same as 5. I haven’t read Dixon. But that’s my definition as well.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I tend to look at it this way ....

On an outside pitch the "torso" is later in "time", with the 'hands' earlier in the 'swing'.

On an inside pitch the "torso" is earlier in "time", with the 'hands later in the 'swing'.

Yes you Hitting snob!! LOL. :) I love it ... earlier but later and later but earlier ... let the good times roll.. anything for at least 1 head scratch!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I get what you are saying in terms of using the lead arm for direction but if you consider the ball to be a point in space you can draw an infinite amount of planes through it and hence every hitter crappy or not is getting his or her lead arm "on plane" with the ball..just choose an appropriate one ;)

Aww ... so let's add clarity.

I tell my hitters, even when working off of a tee, to imagine the path of the ball coming from an imaginary pitcher to where it is on the tee. I want to see their upper lead arm work towards alignment (from a good handset orientation) during the initial usage of their torso/hip-engine.

It is not the case that "crappy" hitters do this. Perhaps I am 'fortunate'/'unfortunate' ... but I get several hitters that are arms based and have little understanding of levering the ball early on.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes you Hitting snob!! LOL. :) I love it ... earlier but later and later but earlier ... let the good times roll.. anything for at least 1 head scratch!

It's why I continue to use Mudder's cue of hitting with the rear hip several years after he shared it. I promote timing the ball with the torso/hips ... and MB's cue helps young hitters get used to that mentality.

May 12, 2016
FFS - Would you consider these swings to be examples of what you're talking about?...

Oh yeah, that's a great video. Really shows the Hips and Rear leg driving towards pitch location. Alyssa Dicarlo's swing would be the end goal for my DD.

Jun 8, 2016
Aww ... so let's add clarity.

I tell my hitters, even when working off of a tee, to imagine the path of the ball coming from an imaginary pitcher to where it is on the tee. I want to see their upper lead arm work towards alignment (from a good handset orientation) during the initial usage of their torso/hip-engine.

It is not the case that "crappy" hitters do this. Perhaps I am 'fortunate'/'unfortunate' ... but I get several hitters that are arms based and have little understanding of levering the ball early on.

Screenshot from 2019-03-26 11-49-08.jpg
From Eric's video. Still don't see how the word plane fits into any of this. Essentially you want the lead arm to be such that the hitter has his/her hands above the barrel for any (reasonable) pitch location...If you want, you can use that picture to show me the plane you are talking about..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors