Hips or the Hands or both simultaneously(lets keep it simple)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2019
NC
I saw a thread on twitter where they discuss being balanced on the back leg as you move forward and rearward. I see a lot of hitters who move forward while moving rearward keeping the stretch that would not be able to stop or hover the front foot and be balanced on the rear leg......Thoughts?

May 12, 2016
I saw a thread on twitter where they discuss being balanced on the back leg as you move forward and rearward. I see a lot of hitters who move forward while moving rearward keeping the stretch that would not be able to stop or hover the front foot and be balanced on the rear leg......Thoughts?

Those hitters need to watch this video. IMO A lot of those hitters don't really move the COM forward, they just move their front foot forward. What's the name for it, false stride...

This video really helped my DD understand staying back while moving forward. With her I focus on staying loaded into the back hip more than thinking about the back leg/foot. She has a lot to learn and a ways to go, but there have been improvements

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
I'm curious...do all of you who believe the hands go first, believe that the hips turn the same on each swing, or pitch location? IOWs, do the hips always turn the same way, and amount...and the adjustments to the actual pitch locations are all done with the hands and arms?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I understand. I am not on that level YET 5. :) when instructing I have used ‘stay’. But torso usage will take care of it on its own imo. Really a non teach?

Torso usage should get a hitter behind the ball ... regardless of pitch location ... and from my perspective, the mindset of getting behind the ball should be fairly active.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm curious...do all of you who believe the hands go first, believe that the hips turn the same on each swing, or pitch location? IOWs, do the hips always turn the same way, and amount...and the adjustments to the actual pitch locations are all done with the hands and arms?

I don't believe that the 'hands' go first. In fact, I often tell my hitters that the hands are the last to go.

The "torso" (hips if you wish) do not turn the identical way, or the same amount, on pitches in a different location.

May 12, 2016

My personal belief is that do not always turn the same amount. I believe by staying back while moving forward allows the hitter to make adjustments to get their body in the best position to attack a pitch. For example, if the pitch is on the outside portion of the plate, the hips will not rotate so much as a pitch on the inside portion of the plate. This makes the swing less armsy and allows the batter to reinforce with their body. Of course there are exceptions where the hitter is fooled and thinking inside and the pitch crosses the outside corner, this type of swing would result in a more armsy type swing as the hips have already fully rotated. I keep talking about hips, but there are other body parts involved, I just think the hips are a good reference point.

In a nutshell, I believe the front foot always lands in the same spot, driving towards the picther. It may roll over more on certain pitch locations because how much hip rotation is involved. I believe the back leg and hip will drive towards the location(inside outside) of the pitch...

I believe Votto reinforces what I say above here in this video.

First AB Oppo field HR -> Hips do not rotate as much and hip extension and rear leg driven towards outside pitch location
3rd AB Pulls the ball -> Hips become fully rotated and hip extension and rear leg drive towards inside pitch location

If just looking at the hips and back leg, which pic do you believe is outside vs inside pitch

Untitled.jpg

Looking at the big picture, these are micro adjustments, but I believe the difference is there

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
I understand. I am not on that level YET 5. :) when instructing I have used ‘stay’. But torso usage will take care of it on its own imo. Really a non teach?
Torso usage should get a hitter behind the ball ... regardless of pitch location ... and from my perspective, the mindset of getting behind the ball should be fairly active.
Just so we're all on the same page, is this what we're all calling he "torso"....
apDcbRN.jpg

...and thusly, the legs play no part in "getting behind the ball"?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I don't believe that the 'hands' go first. In fact, I often tell my hitters that the hands are the last to go.

The "torso" (hips if you wish) do not turn the identical way, or the same amount, on pitches in a different location.

That’s hands would go EARLIER on the inside, LATER on the outside. But agreed. They never go first.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors