Hips or the Hands or both simultaneously(lets keep it simple)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
Hips, being rotated horizontally here with a fused core and no contraction of the obliques.

OyFgaOG.gif
Thanks for that TDS, I was trying to picture someone doing that, as I couldn't imagine a hitter actually doing that (or a coach coaching that). Still don't see that really, but at least I now understand what someone's talking about when they talk about horizontal hips w/o the use of the core (or contraction of the obliques). Cool...thanks again.

EDIT: Maybe I should have explained that a little more. I guess I do see some hitters doing that (incorrectly as noted), but those who teach the hips lead - "overlap" or the "missing frames" - then won't have the shoulders turning at the same time as the pelvic girdle. Resisting with the upper half while the lower half is already turning/moving forward is the "forward (lower half) yet back (upper half)", and accounts for the "separation/stretch" of the two halves loading the spring to launch from (launch position).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So back to the original question. Good subject by the way. I pose this tutorial. ‘Hands go first’?!

https://twitter.com/mariners/status/1088307159467581441?s=21

Every swing truly is an adjustment. What is constant is the ‘hitting position’ one should master above anything else... which directly effects ‘swing path’ which Edgar says is the most important thing in his mind. Good stuff. Who said pros don’t know what they are doing? Shame on whoever thinks that. :)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
So back to the original question. Good subject by the way. I pose this tutorial. ‘Hands go first’?!

Every swing truly is an adjustment. What is constant is the ‘hitting position’ one should master above anything else... which directly effects ‘swing path’ which Edgar says is the most important thing in his mind. Good stuff. Who said pros don’t know what they are doing? Shame on whoever thinks that. :)

Maybe you covered this before, but what is a good "hitting position" IYO?

Mar 21, 2019
NC
I'm a believer hands go first. launching oppo, the knee being the scope to the ball. With the knee being the scope to the ball the back hip will rotate over the back femur. I I believe the tilt helps activate the knee or scope. IMO with just hip rotation some very important things are missing.

By the way....Some great info on here from some very knowledgeable people. Thanks for sharing. This info is hard to find elsewhere.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Maybe you covered this before, but what is a good "hitting position" IYO?

TDSs description is much more eloquent than mine but imo, ‘forward yet back’ meaning the mass has transferred while the backside load is still intact. The hands would be apart of the backside. When you can achieve this position consistently it’s really about adjustments to locations, timing isnt as big of a factor. It still matters but as Edgar states ‘ I can still hit it here, here, here and here’.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I'm a believer hands go first. launching oppo, the knee being the scope to the ball. With the knee being the scope to the ball the back hip will rotate over the back femur. I I believe the tilt helps activate the knee or scope. IMO with just hip rotation some very important things are missing.

By the way....Some great info on here from some very knowledgeable people. Thanks for sharing. This info is hard to find elsewhere.

It was kind of a trick question. Just some sarcasm for the ‘hips leads the hands’ saying. Edgar and Bill were talking about hitting an inside pitch and how it feels to get there. There’s a Miggy gif with him hitting an outside pitch as well as an inside pitch. Hopefully someone will post. I am unable to gif. .

You can see that the ‘adjustments’ were made with the arms and hands to create an ideal swing path for both locals. When hitting an inside pitch the hands must come earlier to hit the pitch in the ideal contact spot, out in front. When hitting an outside pitch the pitch must be hit deeper for optimal contact. In essence the hands lag behind the hips for this later contact point. If not opening up early would be the flaw. And the pitcher would love facing you.

But what Edgar touched on was about landing without giving up the backside. ‘Hitting position’ so he could make any necessary adjustments. Bill also commented ‘ you are in the same position but you hit 4 different pitches to 4 different places’. The real adjustments were with hands/arms.

Don’t get me wrong. I am a ‘hips lead the hands’ guy but only figuratively. Too me the hips will get in front(forward move) but ultimately the hands/arms will dictate how much the hips will lead. Hopefully this all makes sense. Gotta go and get to work :/

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
TDSs description is much more eloquent than mine but imo, ‘forward yet back’ meaning the mass has transferred while the backside load is still intact. The hands would be apart of the backside. When you can achieve this position consistently it’s really about adjustments to locations, timing isnt as big of a factor. It still matters but as Edgar states ‘ I can still hit it here, here, here and here’.

Again this has been the biggest improvement in my DD' swing. She use to have so much trouble with the change up and outside pitches. When she's in this position, she can hit any speed/location no problem. When she's in this position, hitting the change-up is a thing of beauty, makes me very excited, lol.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

He spoke of a mentality to get behind the ball.

Simple: What determines 'direction' is the mentality of getting behind the ball with a 'short' 'inside/out' path.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heatherann2006