Hip Bump for RHC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This shift of the middle with athletic posture (hip bump) is something that will create the scrunch of the lats via a slight lateral tilt and thus create space under your head for the hands to work inside to in or inside to out if need be...

Very nice MTS. That scrunch and lateral tilt is what leads to an inside/out barrel path. It gives a hitter the freedom to use their hands and wrists without worry of an over-the-top army swing. It is why Williams could think in terms of the wrists and forearms as supplying bat direction ... and Williams himself studied golf to better understand the mechanics of a good inside/out swing path.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Closed Hip Bump

Baseball pitchers and some very good hitters possess a move that I call the closed hip bump. For a brief moment, while the hips are laterally moving forward, there is actually a little bit of clockwise hip rotation. In other words, these athletes are still turning to complete the backswing while the lateral motion has started. Thus, there is movement in two directions at the same time.

Perry Husband, baseball hitting and pitching expert who appeared in the Fox Sports Network “Sport Science Show,” calls it “turning in.” Notice his hip position as he gets ready to stride forward. He doesn’t have a lot of hip turn at the start. Notice as he starts to pick up the left heel, his hips turn a little more. Then as the foot leaves the ground a little quicker hip turn occurs. It is now that he has ended his move right and will begin to move left on the next frame.
2008-10_tiabeyond003.gif

Look at the chair in the background on the side of his left hip for perspective. His hips might be turned say 30 degrees? He’s definitely started forward while still moving back We can see less of the chair behind his left hip yet his hips continue to turn in or clockwise. Hips are still moving forward as evidenced by the chair being completely hidden from view. But his hips have turned even more. Perhaps he’s turned his hips about 40-45 degrees now?

Rdbass ... this particular "hip bump" is "forward-by-coiling". The hip bump that MTS is speaking of occurs immediately following the forward-by-coling action.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Posey_side_inside.gif

Posey has a high level swing (not talking about him kneeing himself in the chin). His hips only come slightly forward and only because he extends his front leg out little and gravity takes him down onto it. His drives his rear leg internally rotating it, which brings his back hip around, rotating on his front femur pivot point. He stays back as long as possible. His weight is back until contacting with the ball.
He scrunches his side lat area, he works his elbow under, all while keeping his hands at his back shoulder and without bumping his hips forward.
IMO a hip bump...especially a hip bump with a foot check (sounds a lot like pushing forward, blocking weight with a front foot, and pushing back with the front leg to swing) takes a lot of the adjustability out of a swing. Think about doing all that, then realizing it is an off speed pitch.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Some of my girls have this "hip bump" once in a while. I like it, it show that they are remaining "active", 'adjusting".

Do i see it more when they start to soon, timing is off, or when they are fooled?
also, i use this hip bump, coil forward, when i have a new, no strider, that just stands there.

R

RayR

Yes, it is happening before Posey's foot gets down...tougher to see with a longer stride...

The hip bump is the timing imo...you can extend it or fire off the backside earlier if you are late or busted inside....

Hip Shift/Bump starts about frame 35 below and ends at heel plant - don't think of it as a straight line hip bump...if the body is in a good athletic position and back leg starts firing - the front hip will open...and from the side the front hip will look like it is not shifting....does that make more sense to you?

Holliday10021LowerBody01to47R.gif

Narrower base...
2r1zvnn.gif

Posey_side_inside.gif

Posey has a high level swing (not talking about him kneeing himself in the chin). His hips only come slightly forward and only because he extends his front leg out little and gravity takes him down onto it. His drives his rear leg internally rotating it, which brings his back hip around, rotating on his front femur pivot point. He stays back as long as possible. His weight is back until contacting with the ball.
He scrunches his side lat area, he works his elbow under, all while keeping his hands at his back shoulder and without bumping his hips forward.
IMO a hip bump...especially a hip bump with a foot check (sounds a lot like pushing forward, blocking weight with a front foot, and pushing back with the front leg to swing) takes a lot of the adjustability out of a swing. Think about doing all that, then realizing it is an off speed pitch.

Last edited:
R

RayR

For the most part...I don't like to teach it as such a closed off move like Smith is showing here...her back leg never seemed quite right to me the way it extends and straightens, but heck it worked for her so who am I to say anything...

smithhip2.gif

Is this what you mean by hip bump?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid