Hip Bump for RHC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

I have no problem talking hitting....I am not sure I can fulfill your seeing this "hip bump" in a high level swing as I don't know your definition of a high level swing and I will always maintain that any swing that works at D1 or higher should be considered high level even though it may not fit someone's idea....

But, just to satisfy your question....as FFS alluded to - I don't believe you should unload a swing by just uncoiling or rotating...sure I understand that you can - but that doesn't make it the most efficient way to be able to adjust on the fly....

The hip bump is nothing more learning how to shift your middle to create a certain geometry of your body (like the Dixon "vee") that creates a more forward center so you can easily transfer your weight into the swing....your athletic posture plays a huge role in this....meaning that someone who doesn't bend at the knees and hip joint will simply just slide their hips forward....sometimes a little common sense goes a long way with this stuff....

Even as you watch the Casey one knee drill you should be able to see his hip not only "bump" his butt also goes out....maintaining a dynamic balance....
BackKneeSoftToss.gif

if you want to define this as forward by coiling or lowering your COG - that is fine by me, but I don't agree in just unwinding whatever coil you might have to start the swing...

This shift of the middle with athletic posture (hip bump) is something that will create the scrunch of the lats via a slight lateral tilt and thus create space under your head for the hands to work inside to in or inside to out if need be...

Below you can see the posture needed to achieve what I am talking about in terms of creating space - how many of our youth hitters create this space?

25gqhwp.jpg

If this hitter simply rotated her hips to start the swing and tried to keep her hands close the rear shoulder - could she have made this adjustment? Maybe...maybe not...

I try to explain things in plainer language as I have to relay this to teenage girls and parents who have little knowledge of the language these hitting boards have created over the years....hence "hip bump" or I might say "throw the hip, throw the barrel" to one of my players....they understand what I am asking of them....

If you would like to start another thread sometime on explaining this "hip bump", maybe I would learn something new. I do see it in the fp gifs you posted, but imo they were all less than high level swings, good hitters yes, but not elite swings. If they are the model you like to use, fine, I can live with that.

"Create space for the hands to work". I have to say this makes no sense to me. When I swing, my hands stay close to my back shoulder (at go), my elbow slots, side lat area scrunches, shoulders tilt, all to the level of the pitch. My hands stay in front of my shoulder (in front as shoulders rotate, not "in front" as in closer to my pec), turn the barrel and fire to the ball.
My shoulder laterally tilt independent of what my hips do, and...well...I just don't understand the idea of my hands not having room.

Not trying to get in a pee match, but will admit check mate if you can show me this in a high level swing. AND it very well could be just your words for forward by coil. If you do want to discuss, please show vid not stills, I (or rdb, ffs,noon, etc) can help show vid. Turn me on to the idea, and I will help prove your point. Right now, I just don't see it in a high level swing. If you don't want to get into it, that is fine I promise to leave it alone.

Once again... I am not trying to get into a match...yes I do think some people post crap on here that ultimately leads people the wrong way, and yes I sometimes show vid proof they are wrong (to which they say "just because you see it happen, doesn't mean it is happening"). I like a lot of what you say, but this, I (at this point) don't like so much.

Sorry to distract from this thread (I probably should have pm'ed you, my bad).

Thanks!

R

RayR

"Create space for the hands to work". I have to say this makes no sense to me.

Does he mean do this work behind the back hip?

SL

SL, yes....that is one way to look at it....how do the hands adjust down to low away pitch from an upright posture that just rotates the hips to start a swing....see the Michigan hitter in above post to see what I am talking about...

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I'll be slow to respond here...dd#2 is using the mac for a school project, and I can't post vid from my phone.

I see shoulder tilt independent of a hip check in the michigan hitter above....interesting side note, when I was doing the high level vs fp swing thread a few months ago, I tripped up on several Michigan hitters (is it high level? Or isn't it)...they all looked pretty good and wondered to myself if it is something they are learning at UM.

R

RayR

Yes, independent tilt, but hip bump allows the varying degree of tilt the hitter needs....even on something high -

a4vgk7.gif
2h2i5qv.gif

I'll be slow to respond here...dd#2 is using the mac for a school project, and I can't post vid from my phone.

I see shoulder tilt independent of a hip check in the michigan hitter above....interesting side note, when I was doing the high level vs fp swing thread a few months ago, I tripped up on several Michigan hitters (is it high level? Or isn't it)...they all looked pretty good and wondered to myself if it is something they are learning at UM.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Closed Hip Bump

Baseball pitchers and some very good hitters possess a move that I call the closed hip bump. For a brief moment, while the hips are laterally moving forward, there is actually a little bit of clockwise hip rotation. In other words, these athletes are still turning to complete the backswing while the lateral motion has started. Thus, there is movement in two directions at the same time.

Perry Husband, baseball hitting and pitching expert who appeared in the Fox Sports Network “Sport Science Show,” calls it “turning in.” Notice his hip position as he gets ready to stride forward. He doesn’t have a lot of hip turn at the start. Notice as he starts to pick up the left heel, his hips turn a little more. Then as the foot leaves the ground a little quicker hip turn occurs. It is now that he has ended his move right and will begin to move left on the next frame.
2008-10_tiabeyond003.gif

Look at the chair in the background on the side of his left hip for perspective. His hips might be turned say 30 degrees? He’s definitely started forward while still moving back We can see less of the chair behind his left hip yet his hips continue to turn in or clockwise. Hips are still moving forward as evidenced by the chair being completely hidden from view. But his hips have turned even more. Perhaps he’s turned his hips about 40-45 degrees now?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45