Hillhouse Pitching Clinic Experience - NC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Nvrgivup, I fully understand the light bulb thing. My daughter was going to have one more year of coach pitch before she would move up to kid pitch so I started researching pitching methods, styles, and videos. I watched everything on youtube, watched videos and dvds I could find cheap, and even had a softball coach show me/dd a few drills and what to expect. All of it was confusing and did not make any sense to me. I can look at a girl throwing a ball and I could not for the life of me figure where all of this extra crap that was being taught fit in! Then one day (after buying a subscription to Fastpitch Magizine) I saw a video of a seminar that Bill did (might have been from softballcon but not sure). This was all class room type discussion with no pitching other than demonstrating motions and positioning. LIGHT BULB! Finally, someone who makes perfect sense and is easy to understand. The other great thing about Bill is that he can tell you why he does it his way and why he recommends that you do not do the other junk. I remember telling my wife, I do not know anything about this guy but everything he says makes sense to me.
I bought his first DVD Building the house and started studying it. As coach pitch season started winding down I had been searching for a pitching coach locally. All were teaching HE, wrist snaps from your knees, locking your arms, blah blah blah. I finally decided it was better for me to drive 4 hrs one way, pay 4 or 5 times more than local pitching coaches and see Bill once a month in Dallas than to see these others once a week at home. I do not regret it at all. I am just as much the student at his lessons knowing I will be teaching girls in our town this next spring. Bill knowing this is great to make sure that not only does he teach my DD something but he makes sure to turn to me and explain it at the same time so that I understand what he is trying to get across.
I just wish he would lighten up a little and not take things so serious. ;)

Joe

Oct 20, 2009
Funny, I recall him (Fairchild ) walking around tournaments with this flapper on his leg. He was constantly doing arm circles. This was quite a few years ago at suburban Philly tournaments.

Not to promote anyone but Rita Lynn Gilman sells them in different sizes.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
The guy who originally made this called it "the Perfect-Circle". And he was very disingenuous with how he sold it. He would actually marketed as though it would help a pitcher throw different pitches because they could feel it hit their hand in different places for the various pitches. I found out to be very wrong and incredibly misleading. And I told the guy that who originally made this training aid. The hand goes through so quickly and hits the flag so fast that you can't even feel it. That's why I tell people to use it in front of a mirror so they can see it for themselves. I would be curious to see the reviews on Amazon and what the major complaint is from. I think this tool is an absolute great resource to help fix the two problems I explained in the video. Perhaps somebody who wrote a negative review of it was under the impression it did more for them than it actually does, which is to help correct the muscle memory of getting the hand through the hips.

Then again maybe it made people lose their vision??

Bill

Not that I have anything to with it just because it is my username... But I did purchase the Perfect Circle off the internet... It was a joke of a product... Way too tight for DD even though she was just 9 back then. I came with a CD, info was way off as well. I remade it, and DD got used to it... I didn't have much money in it, and I thought it was cool. Then I was checking out some stuff on the internet on pitching and seen Mr. Hillhouse explaining the Windmill... I could see that it was better than the one I bought. But my re-make was pretty good too. Then I listen to his instruction on the use, and a light went off.... I had always used it in the wrong way.... probably like the others complaining. And I'm sorry about their luck...

Once I got it put on correctly it turned out to be awesome. As you know...college pitchers don't wear them...haha I think they are a very critically needed for a space in time... At the very beginning and personal instruction of its use would be great !!! Of course it works, and so you won't even need it long... it is totally self correcting. But it was one big reason I chose Perfect Circle for a user name here... There is more to it than it just being the very inexpensive tool.

For DD she was playing up a year... We committed to the team to be 2nd Pitcher & 2nd catcher.... they had pitching practice every tues night. The pitchers came crawling out of the wood work... some even had their PC's with them... they were all older and in second year TB'ers... every girl on the team could run fast, and all 6" taller at least. But when DD strapped on her Perfect Circle, they were in awe... they had never seen anything like it... long story short they couldn't touch her. Now that I look back at the clips. I can see if they had one, it would have been different. It gave her confidence. I guess and think its like when ...godforbid a girl wears her boyfriends Varsity Lettered Jacket... the confidence... It can be a priceless tool, and fits great in all our just starting out stories. DD had a internet connection, that lead to a hole trunk full of advantages that she has from here & there & everywhere. :cool:
red%20circle.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish