Hillhouse lessons in Cincy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
JJ... thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear he got banned. I'm sure that's a fine line for the moderators, when to ban someone and when they are just excited in their posts.

I would love to come to So Cal. But the same thing that you said would be attractive to having me come: oodles of pitchers, etc. is the very thing that makes that a difficult market to 'crack'. There are already 100's of pitching coaches there. And like the Seinfeld skit where he talks about doctors, people feel the same about their PC: "You should see our coach he/she is the best!!!!" Not a lot of coaches take kindly to another coach coming into their area, especially if they are going to contradict what they teach. Those who are secure in what they teach, believe and do themselves will welcome a fresh set of eyes. One coach that you mentioned is all about "hello elbow" and he believes that his mechanics are the only ones to be safe in the pitching world. So, if I went in and refuted somethings like Hello Elbow, etc. it really puts his students in a pickle. Assuming what I said, then demonstrated, makes sense to them, they'd have a hard time going back to hearing how they should do "Hello Elbow" again.

Personally, I would love it. If I could find the right weekend that doesn't conflict with any tournaments, school dances, etc. I would love to come out there and do a clinic, demo, lessons, etc. But the other hard part is finding a facility to use. Between flight, hotel, car, meals, etc. it's already nearing a $1000 overhead to travel anywhere. If I have to pay a lot on top of that for use of a facility it makes it even harder. Although there are some places that offer facilities for next to nothing, which they see as a unique way to get new people into their building. But in a lot of cases, buildings operate on such a small margin of profit that they don't always see the "big picture" and want a big rental fee upfront. I know in several places I go on a regular basis, students that come to see me sign up for other services that facility offers: hitting lessons, fielding lessons, core training, etc. and then the boy's in the family sign up for baseball stuff too. So, having me come to their facility brought in a lot of people that would've never been there in other circumstances. So if you have any ideas and a facility that might work, send me a message. I would love to try making it happen.

CoachScott, I just had someone from Toms River NJ drive 6 hours to Pittsburgh yesterday for a lesson so... people from your side of the state do make the trip over!! Don't worry... i won't be "moving" to So Cal (or anywhere) for a couple years. When my step son is out of high school (couple years) then I would consider it!!!! I hate winter!!!

Bill

There is a huge, untapped market for example in Los Angeles County (I agree that Orange County does have a lot of PCs even though many of them teach questionable mechanics). Other than the rainy months of Feb/March, a lot of PCs in my area give lessons outdoors, either they have made pitching cages in their backyards or some go to local parks/fields to give lessons (DD current PC does it this way). Some operate out of hitting facilities too. Most charge around $60-80/hr for frankly mediocre instruction and the parents are clueless about what is being taught to their kids. My DD is on her 3rd PC in 4 years and has significant work to do. If you marketed your clinic/lessons well here, I know you could get many, many kids to come. Ping me if you want to discuss further.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
getting feelers out now Bill. Rocketech, I assume you are doing the same- hopefully the rest of the socal contingent will reach out and between all of us we find something that works. I'll follow up with a PM if/when I get bites.

Feb 7, 2013
No way Rocket

Us in the East/South have Rick Pauly that's it. You have Hal Skinner, Balswick and Boardmember.

You already have those guys and good weather. STOP IT!

Skinner and Balswick are NorCal (6 hours away). Is Boardmember in SoCal? You have piqued my interest...

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Bill

Southern Cali has too much too do there. I lived in Pasadena and Azusa for years in my ball playing days. Ski, swim , surf, Big Bear, Hollywood, Disney, Palm Springs, Vegas close by. Making movies etc. There will be no time for softball.

Please stay South/East!

Feb 7, 2013
Bill

Southern Cali has too much too do there. I lived in Pasadena and Azusa for years in my ball playing days. Ski, swim , surf, Big Bear, Hollywood, Disney, Palm Springs, Vegas close by. Making movies etc. There will be no time for softball.

Please stay South/East!

Don't be so selfish, we need good instruction in SoCal too:)

Feb 5, 2010
Dudes,

Huge ball to get rolling but it can be done. It took just about 2 years and a joint effort but we were able to get Bill to come to the Chicago area. No doubt that it could happen BUT like pitching, are you willing to work for it. Talk is cheap, let's see what you got. All kidding aside, Bill is great to work with and if you really want him, I think it could happen.

Mar 26, 2013
SoCalASABlue arranged for Bill to do a clinic almost 3 years ago in San Diego (aka LoCal). Did that happen? I know he was disappointed in the lack of interest, but that was also a couple months before the clinic.

If you really want to pull it off, I think you need to organize it with pitching coaches that are disciples of Bill. Perhaps Bill can provide a list of them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA