highschool ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 2, 2012
how important is highschool ball if you want to go to college? does it look bad if you do not play highscool ball because of the coach. i know at least half of the girls wanted to quit last year but stuck it out. thought it might be better got a new jv coach but still no better. pretty bad when the girl that got varsity for pitching tells dd that she should of got it because she takes lessons and is better theres something wrong. this girl also does track so she wont be at half the games makes no sense me thanks.

Oct 19, 2009
There is a lot of politics involved in HS ball, one of the main things I see at the local schools in our area if your parent is a teacher in the school system or your parent is someone of importance then you get to play no matter how bad or good. I am sure there is a lot that goes on behind the scene we never know about, the coach’s objective is to keep his/her job and sometimes it involves keeping the right people happy.

My daughter's sophomore year in HS daughter and teachers daughter was the 2 pitchers the teachers daughter lost 9 and won 3 and an ERA of almost 4.00. Daughter lost 1 and won 6 an ERA of a little over 1.00. The only game she lost was a 2-1 game the 2 runs came with 2 outs in the 8th and guess who drops a fly ball never moves out of their tracks and allows 2 runs to score.

Daughter got to pitch against the teams that was expected to beat us that year. In regions the teachers daughter lost the 2 games she pitch and put us out of regions. My daughter won her game by beating the top seed in a great 4-3 game. Probably many on here can relay similar stories.

Many of the kids get discouraged when the objective is not winning and the kids can tell.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Yea, politics play a big roll in HS sports. My oldest son was a very good baseball player in HS but never got a chance to showcase it. His sophomore year he played behind a bunch of seniors but he never quit working hard. I know I would sneak to watch practice and he was the only one who was shagging balls in the outfield, and I mean the whole outfield, trying to catch everything he could and what he couldn't catch he would chase the ball to retrieve it while the others stood around talking.

His junior year was going to be his chance, with only several seniors in the outfield. I knew it was going to be a long season when the first practice, "Locklear, centerfield." This kid could not play his sophomore year because of grades, but his daddy knew the coach well. Still, my son kept working hard. He was a designated runner and led the team in stolen bases. He did get to pinch hit some and led the team in home runs (ok it was only 2, but he still led the team).

Ok, senior year, now he can shine. Not! LF was a teacher's son, same kid in cf as before, so rf was open. First game of the season and I look out at the starting lineup and my son was not starting. I was sitting in the stands with the rf's father, a good friend of mine and he ask why his son was starting in rf, that my son was twice as good as his. I just looked at him, he was the principal at the other high school in town.

At the time, I must admit I was mad as I could be, but never expressed it to my son. To his credit he never complained but kept working hard. If he mentioned it, I would tell him to keep working hard.

Travel ball didn't exist at the time but we did have American Legion ball. Guess who the coach was?

But now that I am older and wiser(?) I realize that it taught him some great lessons in life. Life is not always fair but keep working hard. And he has. He actually worked harder in HS and got better grades, got his BS degree and now is a successful practice manager for a large orthopedic group, a Captain in the Air National Guard, and is very active in the local community helping others. I couldn't be prouder of him.

Did he want to play college baseball? Yes. Did he miss playing? Yes. Did it stop him from obtaining his main goal of a college degree? No!!!

Life is not always fair, but if you keep working hard, you will be rewarded later.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
HS ball is important but TRAVEL BALL is more important!! In my 10 yrs of coaching both travel and HS (now just a travel coach), I have seen college coaches at HS games once or twice (I am in Long Island)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Raven Chavanne, TN.

The question of HS ball is asked at every coaches clinic that I go to. It matters not at all to them and their are many HS coaches that they would rather that you not play for. Unless you bring up HS ball, they aren't going to ask you. Now, I am not familiar with the local D2s and D3s, maybe it is a deal breaker for them, but I can't imagine why.

I never believed this when I lived in Central IL., either. But once I started coaching NJCAA, I could care less what they could do in HS. The competition is SO different. And the stats are usually home cooked.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Not that softball scholarships matter that much, either. Very small percentage of players will receive softball scholarships. Even then, after 4 years it's over. At least as far as earning a decent living playing softball.

Not the same as baseball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp