High school softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
Maybe your DD has some mental things going on that were all removed when she got back with her TB team? I wish I had tried to work with my DD more on mental approach to hitting. She didn't need anymore reps. Things like focusing on each pitch, ignoring the noise, and try to control your controllables.
Maybe but honestly her TB coach is waaaaayyyy more demanding and a "Bobby Knight" type of coach than her HS coach - but who knows? Toward the end of HS last year she came home crying and said - I'm not sure I want to play in college..... I asked her if this was because she was sucking and she just looked at me and said "I'm not having any fun" - duh kid, neither am I, lol. Of course we had commitments for the summer lined up with her TB team as well as camps scheduled and paid for so I told her she needed to finish the season and attend everything as scheduled and if after summer was over she felt the same way we would certainly discuss options. First tournament she hit a few HR and her average was back up and lo and behold she was back in the "playing in college" game, lol. I will say - people will scoff but I do think she tends to play at the level of her competition and competition wasn't that high in HS.

Feb 7, 2014
Public high school sports should not fundraise and assess user fees. Public high schools should be paid for by the local tax base. Crazy right !?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Public high school sports should not fundraise and assess user fees. Public high schools should be paid for by the local tax base. Crazy right !?

Nice theory. In the real world, many sports would not be able to exist without fundraising and fees. Hell, last year, my DD's HS team wouldn't have a single bownet or any decent balls if I hadn't purchased them myself and donated them to the team. I expect to be donating more balls again this year.

Jun 8, 2016
Nice theory. In the real world, many sports would not be able to exist without fundraising and fees.
Never used to be that way. There was no fundraising when I was playing HS 200 million years ago, at least in my area. I think the whole idea of "paying" to play HS sports only started in my area of the country around the time my younger brother was graduating (early 2000's or so). Not sure what happened. Perhaps the price of everything needed to sustain the sports program increased at a rate which was higher than the tax revenue that was generated for the sports programs.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Never used to be that way. There was no fundraising when I was playing HS 200 million years ago, at least in my area. I think the whole idea of paying to play HS sports only started in my area of the country around the time my younger brother was graduating (early 2000's or so). Not sure what happened, I guess the price of everything increased at a rate which was higher than the tax revenue that was generated for the sports programs.

I don't recall fundraising for HS sports when I was in school, either (mid-'80s). However, my older DD's involvement in cheer wasn't cheap (uniform costs, primarily). My younger DD's softball has been cheap, but it's reflected in what she's gotten. Last year the "uniform" was a single screen-printed t-shirt. Meanwhile, other schools have 2 full uniforms and matching helmets...which they pay for.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't recall fundraising for HS sports when I was in school, either (mid-'80s). However, my older DD's involvement in cheer wasn't cheap (uniform costs, primarily). My younger DD's softball has been cheap, but it's reflected in what she's gotten. Last year the "uniform" was a single screen-printed t-shirt. Meanwhile, other schools have 2 full uniforms and matching helmets...which they pay for.
Yeah..we didn't have to pay anything for Marcela's MS softball and as a result she wore a jersey that would have fit me..They have a booster club which is for all the sports. Hopefully the 3 packages of Blue and Gold sausage we sold will fund a uniform that fits next season.. 🤣

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Never used to be that way. There was no fundraising when I was playing HS 200 million years ago, at least in my area. I think the whole idea of "paying" to play HS sports only started in my area of the country around the time my younger brother was graduating (early 2000's or so). Not sure what happened. Perhaps the price of everything needed to sustain the sports program increased at a rate which was higher than the tax revenue that was generated for the sports programs.
Wow seriously no fundraising you didn't even do raffle tickets or sell candy bars?

Jun 8, 2016
Wow seriously no fundraising you didn't even do raffle tickets or sell candy bars?
No. Not for baseball or basketball. Not sure what football had to do..I was 6' 140 lbs my freshmen year so I wasn't going anywhere near a football field.

Jul 14, 2018
… people will scoff but I do think she tends to play at the level of her competition and competition wasn't that high in HS.

This is an important point. It doesn’t surprise me that a kid who rakes at PGF would have a tough time against significantly slower pitching.

DD’s team played a showcase this past fall, and we drew one of the best teams in the region. They jumped out to a quick double-digit lead, so we sent out pitcher #3 in the third. She barely breaks 45, but she tied that best-in-class team up in knots. They couldn’t touch her.

Congrats to your DD, BTW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Players, especially younger ones, can also be pulled down by who are they playing with. It shouldn't happen, but we have all seen cases where hitting (good or bad) seems contagious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13