High School Softball ,No Thanks I'll pass

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
I am going to try one last time, and leave this thread.

Allow me to tell a true story that happened in our area this past year about a super-stud, sophomore pitcher. All that, I say, all that, already high D1 signed. She was home schooled and could pick any school she wanted. Picked a school, and all of a sudden ALL the experts had her team ranked #1 in the state preseason.

This sophomore pitcher had never seen high level high school softball. The lights, the press, only a few games a week, the pressure.

Our senior pitcher had seen all that. Highly regarded, but not considered a super high D1 stud, but D1 signed, great player. She bonded with the team, brought up the youngsters, it was HER team, and she knew exactly what buttons to push to get every player hitting on all cylinders. Hardest working pitcher I have ever seen. Modest, friendly, super smart graduating #1 in class, been beat down a couple times. Knew what it took, and personally acted on it by sacrificing herself for the team.We were ranked 9th preseason by the experts.

Guess what happened? Two senior players quit on the "sophomore stud pitchers" team early as they did not like being jumped, probably spoiled rotten. ? say what ? oh, never been beaten down ? I remember. This new high school pitching stud pitched great, but did not perform as well under pressure. Her team was 18-7 ... barely scratching the surface in the playoffs. We beat her twice. Once 2-1 in extra innings, and a second time 3-1 in the playoffs.

Our senior pitching stud went 29-1 with a 0.43 ERA, while her battery mates hit .394 as a team. Knew the pressure, already dealt with the pressure, EXCELLED in the pressure, and had the wisdom of years to go the extra mile to bond, elevate the younger players because she knew she needed the support. Won the big school state championship, including a lofty national ranking. It is a team game.

The experts still think the younger pitcher is better. In time, they are probably right. We have the ring.

True story, check it, ... go ahead pick the youngster, on paper she is better. I will beat you every time.

I personally feel bad for this young pitcher. Super good person, great family, great player, I know them, have talked through out the years and have the utmost respect for them. They were just thrown into a hornets nest of their choosing, without knowing. Plays for the absolute best travel team in our area, and will go places far when it is her time.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We are talking about high level high school softball, with all high level players. Not some small, out of the way place, with players who do not play travel ball.

I sure hope you're not referring to me. Our girls played probably double the games ( 50+ ) most schools do, we also entered the state's maximum high school sponsored tournaments each year with schools from as many as 14 different states. These girls had played in tougher situations by 12u than most seniors had ever seen.

The level of experience makes the player, not the "time" of just any experience.

Jan 25, 2011
I know a 13 yo is not a 17 yo, but this year, I had a 14 yo pitch batting practice and she destroyed the varsity girls. Then that 14 yo and her friend that is 14 too, batted off the varsity pitcher and were putting on a show of how to hit. So yes, some younger girls are better then those 17 yo's, they out hit them, throw and fielding. But it isn't always the case, I will agree.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Allow me to tell a true story that happened in our area this past year about a super-stud, sophomore pitcher. All that, I say, all that, already high D1 signed. She was home schooled and could pick the school she wanted. Picked a school, and all of a sudden ALL the experts had her team ranked #1 in the state preseason.

Already D1 signed as a sophomore? Now I see the problem of this whole thread.

Jan 25, 2011
SCDad, no one deserves anything in life, they have to earn it. Just because a guy at work has been doing that job for 20 years, doesn't mean that he should keep that same job. A younger guy or girl that comes along and does it better, should be given the job. I don't give a rats a$$ if a senior losses her spot to a freshmen, it isn't the senior spot, it is the teams spot. That is how this country was built on the backs of those that worked hard and your way is how this country is being destroyed, entitlements.

Jul 2, 2013
It is just a true story. Judge as you wish. At the end, top 25 in the nation. Same girls, it is not like they bring in different girls for travel, do they?

Our state has a strict regulation on games played. We ended up 32-1, and played the maximum allowed.

It is not TN, or some other state ... does that make a difference to you? I don't get what you are saying?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
In my state, a home school student can not play for the local school. There are several reasons not the least of which is that the home school child is not held to the same standards for grades and eligibility within the approved school curriculum. I believe that there are 10 total states that do allow home school students to play BUT there are still conditions. Those schools are Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, North Dakota, Oregon, Utah, and Washington. Perhaps you are suggesting that this young lady decided to attend a public/private school and fore go home schooling. Still, per most states, she would be living in a defined school district and so her attendance would be limited. Naturally that would not include private schools.

As already pointed out, a sophomore can not sign with any university. They can verbal. However, a verbal is not binding on either the school or the players.

Jul 2, 2013
You can't sign a scholarship as a sophomore. You can only make a verbal commitment. There's a sophomore in Georgia now who reportedly has committed to an SEC school.

Same here, pardon my sloppy english. She is "verballed" high D1, and reported in public, Does that change the story?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
In our state, home schoolers can go where ever they like. Listen folks, my stuff is straight up. Take it as it is, or don't. There is an important message contained. It is real.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01