High School Softball ,No Thanks I'll pass

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
I think you're a good storyteller, and in your mind this magical senior is some gift from heaven. I'm going to guess this player is your daughter or a friends daughter, and at some point she got mistreated and then won a game against the one who did the mistreating. I can respect that individual accomplishment.

BUT, I think you lack a great deal on how the high level system works. How proffessional people grade a true winner or winning team. National rankings mean NOTHING, if you don't play NATIONALLY.

One more time, prove to us your system by providing links to media. Surely a #25 ranked team has some ink somewhere.

Please name for me the National Gatorade Player of the year for 2013, and where she is from (Hoover, , SC, to Stanford).

Please name for me the National Maxpreps Freshman Player of the year for 2013, and where she is from (Drotar, SC, to SC).

Please name the #1 (or #2 they split time), Alabama Starting pitcher, the Sophomore, and where she is from (Jury, SC, to Alabama).

And our great pitcher, though fictional to some, and reverred in our school last spring, (Cabe, SC, to Harvard)

Please name what State won the 18U ASA Nationals this year (not us, but very close)

None of this is about my daughter, just honored to play just well enough to be associated with, be able to be around, be friends with the dads, of players who are known nationally. I do not coach, or represent our high school team, except possibly on message boards.

I have already established the true National Travel teams, who finish in the top 10 in ASA, PGF, or other are better than high school teams. Because they can cherry-pick all the best players. It does not mean they are BETTER players, because they are the same girls who are on high school. Just the ability to get them all in one place.

High School play is a small step behind. RESPECT these girls, and players. National rankings, though subjective, DO mean something.

By some peoples response I can tell right away many are not high level travel softball parents. Because the truly great ones, understand and respect ALL the players.

I do not think you can find many remarks from me with dis-respect for other teams, players, or stories. I follow the National Stage because local girls are involved. Know it from this perspective. Respect it, as I do all young ladies, from Little League on up who get on the softball playing field and do their best.

Our area is not better than say California, not quite, we don't have the numbers. But we play great softball here, year round, and Stanford is getting a real good one for next year. Over 6', 70+, big bat.

Maybe after actually watching this young lady play, you will believe.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
SCDad, you wrote this, "By some peoples response I can tell right away many are not high level travel softball parents. Because the truly great ones, understand and respect ALL the players." So do you think that you are a high level travel softball parent? Because the truly great ones, don't have to come online and tell everybody that they are. For every National ranked player, their is a player that doesn't get that credit, maybe at a only local level, that can beat your National ranked player. All I can say is that I'm glad I don't live where your from, because around here you earn your spot and have to work hard to keep your spot. No matter how long you have played on the team.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Please name for me the National Gatorade Player of the year for 2013, and where she is from (Hoover, , SC, to Stanford).

Please name for me the National Maxpreps Freshman Player of the year for 2013, and where she is from (Drotar, SC, to SC).

Please name the #1 (or #2 they split time), Alabama Starting pitcher, the Sophomore, and where she is from (Jury, SC, to Alabama).

And our great pitcher, though fictional to some, and reverred in our school last spring, (Cabe, SC, to Harvard)

Now I'm really confused. On one hand you're saying that its normal for upper classmen have more experience in HS ball. But you're giving examples of players who gained the majority of that experience in the years before HS.

Also the little time I had to search the web this morning shows that they also had varsity playing time as freshmen. Which unless there were NO seniors, they must have taken playing time away from upper classmen.

Got a day of work meetings, but I'll try to elaborate more later.

Dec 7, 2011
By some peoples response I can tell right away many are not high level travel softball parents. Because the truly great ones, understand and respect ALL the players.

What does this really even mean?

If you might think I am not part of this TB crowd PLEASE ask me directly.
I could even show you the odometer on my car!!!! :)

Jun 19, 2013
What happened to this thread - just wasted a half hour weeding through this - I guess we are trying to compete with Rose Colored Glasses ;) At least we've all determined that SC loves his HS experience, loves his state, loves the players on their HS team, loves the awesome parents of these players, and can NOT relate to the average parent's experience in the slightest. Moving on to read about batting today.

Dec 7, 2011
For when I had some interest in Rose Colored Glasses back around thread number 645,923 I concluded, from my perspective, they are battling "less filling" vs "taste great"...... Whatever they conclude, if they ever do, there will have zero impact on anything (except for ego's).

The difference to me is that in this thread sequence the heavily debated topic (hs vs tb) some "noobs" in here might make a big mistake by overtrusting HS to get their DD a scholarship over the TB scene. I believe that could be a HUGE disservice of this DFP site if we allow that to happen.

(my opinion riding on my little ego ;-)

Apr 1, 2010
SCDad, my dd wasn't "brought up." When they had tryouts, she was told to tryout with the varsity and yes, parents of older players were angry that she started. She was better. SCDad, I don't believe in entitlements. Some do. I believe you outwork everyone else and so when it comes down to who plays and who does not, she played because she was noticeably better. Those players she beat out knew she was coming. They had choices to make including working harder than her. They did not.

In our district there is no middle school/junior high school ball and I think tryouts start at or before the date in August when school begins. So I'm not sure if girls currently playing have any idea who's coming up next year until...boom, they're there on the first day of tryouts. From what I've heard, coaches usually have their ears to the ground and have some idea of what players will be heading their way in the years to come, but does that filter down to all the HS players? I'd doubt it.

Still, your point that players should be working hard to improve is dead on IMO. Better to assume someone is coming along who wants your spot, than to assume that you've got it in the bag.

Apr 1, 2010
Until your DD is the one sitting for a Freshman.... Let's say your DD has been on Varsity for 3 years, a Senior, and is now sitting because a stud Freshman comes in... How do you act now?

I tell her to find another position. DD can hit, so if she can learn to be even decent at fielding another spot, she'll probably be on the field. Get out there and help the team! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles