High School Schedule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
My DD is going into 9th grade and we just got the volleyball schedule. She will have a 2 hour study hall right after school with the Varsity coach and then go to JV practice. I like the study hall idea because the coach is a teacher and says she is strict about getting work done in that time. Well, practice is 5 days a week and then "non-mandatory" clinics that you better be at on Saturdays.
Travel ball starts in a couple weeks and will be two, 2 1/2 hour a week practices, and they will do 3 or 4 fall tournaments. I was just getting excited with the improvements my DD and I were making working on her batting (thanks to the help of everyone here), but the DW says to drop it until after V-ball. After V-ball is indoor track, and the Varsity Softball coach told us he wants her there to be in shape for Spring softball (he is the track coach).
When do you all fit in the time to work on the swing? Practicing with her is about my favorite thing to do (even though I was recently frustrated with her progress, she seems to have had a bit of an Aha moment).
Thanks

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have recently learned school sports are brutal, in a good way.

I do not think I can practice with DD when she is playing a school sport, still can go swimming with her though.

Sep 17, 2009
IM, we are in same spot with volleyball. I want her playing a sport as she enters her first semester of high school -- keeping busy, making friends, etc....but it's a tough balance.

It goes to the other thread that was recently on her about multi-sport athletes. It's tough these days, PLUS academics must come first.

I'm waiting to see how she fares this winter when she doesn't play a sport but has 5am softball mandatory weight training. I guess I'll learn her commitment then : >

Aug 5, 2012
This is also my dd's freshman year. In middle school she played volleyball, basketball, and softball. She also did pop Warner cheer. She's dropped bball, vball, and soccer to play only softball and cheer. Last season was her first tb season and pop Warner cheer really had a way of clashing. So far though it sounds lime that will not be the case at all with HS cheer. She only has two Saturday football games and the rest are Friday nights. Weekend competitions shouldn't interfere because they're in the winter.
The one thing I worry about now is if HS cheer will at all interfere with HS softball. Competition cheer runs through March, so I'm thinking we should be ok, no? I hope you get lucky like we have so far iM

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Welcome to HS sports.

6 days a week is pretty much standard, unless they go to a tourney on the weekend and then its 7.

Add marching band practice 1 night a week and playing at home football games and you pretty much have our schedule

Oct 10, 2011
My DD dropped out of basketball last year but she absolutely loves volleyball. Maybe I can squeeze something in every once and awhile. She really wasn't into the idea of doing track, but since varsity softball in 9th is her main goal for sports this year, she thinks she should do it to keep the coach happy.
I really wanted to focus on that swing!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
iMlearning,
You will find the time.The 2 hour study hall time is also for homework.Which I think should work better instead of coming home form v-ball practice and then having to do homework.See how it goes first with school, v-ball and tb.Then when the dust settles and you have a rountine.You will better be able to decide when and how.You don't have to practice hitting all the time it's quality not quantity.Don't forget down time for DD.

Oct 10, 2011
At least our girls should be too busy for boys. I do know one 15 yr old girl considering quiting TB because she wants to spend more time with her boyfriend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877