High level, Multi ball pregame routine

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
I think a sharp pregame infield routine that runs like a well oiled machine can really set the tone for a game. I've seen a couple impressive high school/college ones over the years that can really intimidate the opposing team. Anyone run anything like this that would like to share? Like always I appreciate the responses!

Dec 4, 2013
Yeah I'm looking for routines with a few different things going on simultaneously. We currently run something like I am describing, just looking for some more input from other coaches!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I have something that I did as well. If they go well, then yes, you might be able to intimidate another team. However, if it goes bad, you can really build up the other team's confidence. For the one I created, I tell my players that they had better pay attention at all times or else someone is really going to get hurt.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Disclaimer: DD does not go to this school but plays with several kids that do.

This team has a rather intimidating warm up. When I saw them play the other team couldn't stop watching them. The throws from the warning track to home were very impressive. Immaculate Heart Academy Even their HS website screams "We are going to beat you"

Their All American list and State title list is impressive as well.

Dec 4, 2013
IA,

We start by doing 9 minutes of individual work. Infielders start with rolls for 2 minutes then do 3 minutes of a triangle drill from a short distance where they are doing some fielding and throwing. Next we do 4 minutes of fungos with 1 coach hitting to SS/3B and another coach hitting to 1b/2b. While this is going on Outfielders are working on drop steps, coming in, catching fly balls that the coach throws to them.

After the individual period we come together for our team infield/outfield. We start with cut 2, each outfielder gets two balls. As that is going on C, 1b, 3b are working snap throws. Next is cut 3 for outfield, while that is going on C and 1b are doing bunts and dropped strike three inside/outside throws. Finally cut 4 everyone is involved.

Next we do our infielding routine:
Inf in tag play at home, reg depth 1, double play, Inf in force play at home followed by slow roller to 1st.

Looks pretty decent when we run it efficiently, but still looking to improve the overall routine.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Better practice this one several times before taking it to the game warm-up

Around the horn two times.

1. Left fungo hits to SS and 1B
Right fungo hits to 3B and 2B

Each player gets 4 balls trying to give them a variety of locations. Return throws to appropriate shagger.

2. Left fungo hits 4 gbs to 3rd which get thrown to 1st. Balls returned to left shagger.
At the same time, the right fungo hits gbs to SS and 2B (underhand flips to the base) and return to right shagger.

3. Left fungo hits 4 gbs to SS who throws over to 1st. Returns balls to left shagger.
Right fungo hits 2 each gbs to 3rd and 2nd. Returns balls to right shagger.

4. Left fungo hits 4 gbs to 2nd who throws to first. Return balls to left shagger.
Right fungo hits 2 each gbs to 3rd and SS. Return balls to right shagger.

5. Left fungo hits 2 gbs to 1st who throws to 3rd. Return balls to left shagger.
Right fungo hits 1 gb to SS and 2nd. Return balls to right shagger.

6. Left fungo hits 2 gbs to 3rd for 5-4-3 double play. Return ball to left shagger.
Right fungo its 2 gbs to SS. Return balls to right shagger.

7. Left fungo hits 2 gbs to SS for 6-4-3 double play. Return balls to left shagger.
Right fungo hits 2 gbs to 3rd. Return balls to right shagger.

8. Left fungo hits 2 gbs to 2nd for 4-6-3 double play. Return balls to left shagger.
Right fungo hits 2 gbs to 3rd. Return balls to right shagger.

9. Left fungo hits 2 gbs to 1st for a 3-6-5 double play. (SS dekes throwing back to 1st and throws to third). Return balls to left shagger.
Right fungo hits 2 gbs to 2nd. Return balls to right shagger.

10. For the last round, there is only one fungo hitter. Left fungo hits 1 slow roller gb to each infielder for thrown home

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard