High Gate Fees

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
For those of you paying gate fees, are these the only tournament in the area? Or are there multiple tournaments and everyone just gets hosed for gate fees?

In MD/DE we really only have USSSA and PONY. Being that you have to qualify for PONY Nationals we are stuck with USSSA World Series gate fee unless we qualify for PONY. So really there isn't another option. I'm not sure what if anything PONY charges at Nationals. USSSA needs competition or their prices will continue to climb in this area. ASA is attempting to break in here but people seem happy with the familiar USSSA option.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Had no idea that folks in other areas had to shell out so much in gate fees. I think one of the reasons it does not fly down here (Florida) is the competition between associations. We usually have a few tournaments within an hours drive each weekend.

For those of you paying gate fees, are these the only tournament in the area? Or are there multiple tournaments and everyone just gets hosed for gate fees?

We have 4-5 tourneys each weekend within an hour and a half. They all charge gate fees. ASA in Chattanooga is the most reasonable and has the best competition within that hour and a half drive. Some are trying "no gate fee tourneys", but the entry fees go up $150.

Mar 26, 2013
For weekend events in SoCal, the only gate fees are charged by private parks (e.g. Big League Dreams). Those are also the only ones that keep us from bringing in food and coolers.

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
No Gate fees here, ever.
The only tournament locally that has gate fees is the IFS Canadian Open Fastpitch International. Only for spectators, as all players and coaches get free access.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We have 4-5 tourneys each weekend within an hour and a half. They all charge gate fees. ASA in Chattanooga is the most reasonable and has the best competition within that hour and a half drive. Some are trying "no gate fee tourneys", but the entry fees go up $150.

Playing at Warner in Chattanooga?

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
For weekend events in SoCal, the only gate fees are charged by private parks (e.g. Big League Dreams). Those are also the only ones that keep us from bringing in food and coolers.

But at least you get that token for $1 off the ridiculously overpriced food and drink...

Or you can drown your sorrows at the bar!

flarays

Stingrays Gold
Mar 20, 2013
Sunny Orlando Florida
Totally agree with everyone from Fla. Virtually no gate fees except "special" events. The interesting thing is youth baseball in Central Florida charges $5 a head at all their events.

I can tell you that Central Ohio is a mixed bag. It depends on the Organization and the fields. The two HS Quad complexes that we use for two of our showcases do charge a couple dollars per head. But that goes straight to the HS fastpitch clubs. People do not object to that. We use 12 fields at Ohio State and we do not charge a gate. The HUGE complex in Columbus - 32 fields - does charge a gate. It used to be a per car charge. Not sure if it is still that way - but they do charge something and it goes straight to the park operators.

My take on this has always been, and will continue to be, we are the customers. If we choose to go to events that charge gate fees, high gate fees, or high entry fees, then we own it. Sometimes there is no choice.

Dec 18, 2009
Sidney Ohio
Totally agree with everyone from Fla. Virtually no gate fees except "special" events. The interesting thing is youth baseball in Central Florida charges $5 a head at all their events.

I can tell you that Central Ohio is a mixed bag. It depends on the Organization and the fields. The two HS Quad complexes that we use for two of our showcases do charge a couple dollars per head. But that goes straight to the HS fastpitch clubs. People do not object to that. We use 12 fields at Ohio State and we do not charge a gate. The HUGE complex in Columbus - 32 fields - does charge a gate. It used to be a per car charge. Not sure if it is still that way - but they do charge something and it goes straight to the park operators.

My take on this has always been, and will continue to be, we are the customers. If we choose to go to events that charge gate fees, high gate fees, or high entry fees, then we own it. Sometimes there is no choice.

Yes, Berliner in Columbus (Ohio) charges $5 a car per day. $$ is supposed to support park upkeep of its 32 fields...FYI, they have installed field 'turf' for now 11 of the 32 diamonds (reduces rainouts).

I'm OK with smaller gate fees as long as it goes towards something usefull, ie park upgrades, some charity etc. When it's supporting a private tourney director's pocketbook, I may look for a competitive tournament elsewhere.
GATE FEES should be clear to teams PRIOR to entering a tournament!

Jul 28, 2008
BTW, the highest gate fee I've seen up here is $5 per person per day including kids over 5 y/o. Nothing I like more than paying an extra 20 bucks per day just to watch my kid play.

/rant

And the two parks that charge that gate fee are two of worst kept parks. Go figure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs