Here is my DD's latest swings entering Senior year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
My sincerest apologies. I'm very short on time at the moment. Truly wish I had the time to describe this some more ... and hope to do that in the near future.

No Apologies necessary (lol)...I know you'll offer more in time.

But Hey, we're battling a snowstorm, and I just couldn't resist with my class-clown nature....kind of reminds me of the time we had a substitute teacher in 10th grade math and I turned every item hanging on the classrooms walls upside down...I just couldn't resist!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Example of a failure to release ....

qzlr93.gif

Nov 25, 2012
USA
This is really a great thread IMO. A ton of great information, videos, and explanation from members of DFP.

BUMP, BUMP, BUMPITY BUMP.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
View attachment 2435

The spacing between the back elbow and rib cage is too much at this point imo....which tells me that the wrists are not oily enough (meaning she is not really turning the barrel with her hands but merely dragging it)....another way to explain it to her is tell her that her back arm bicep muscle should be turning towards the ball sooner...this can free up the wrists since this should create a tighter hand path...and with a tighter hand path comes more of an awareness of the weight of the barrel and what the hands/wrists need to do....

Turn the bicep earlier. That is the best nugget of hitting knowledge I have read. That helps more than 1000 miggy gifs. Thank you Ray.

Feb 25, 2016
First of all, she has a nice, smooth swing. It looks natural and 90% of what she's doing is correct. Her head is still, she keeps eye contact with the ball, her back arm and the timing of the swing is good. There's just three things that I can see that I would correct if I was coaching her...

1. I'm skeptical about that front foot action when facing faster pitchers. Getting your timing down on a single stride takes time to master. Cage work + swinging just until you tap the ball helps with this.

2. She's late on her swing and that's due to the wrists not turning over in time. The turning over of the wrist is a result of turning the upper body into the swing. Her upper body doesn't turn at all.

3. On some swings her elbow is digged into her side and on others she's ambarring. Even if the pitch is far away she needs to keep her swing compact and put the trust in her swing mechanics, not defaulting to her ability to reach the ball.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Here is a look at my DD's current swing entering her senior year. Many here have seen her swing posted (and many have helped us tremendously!) since she was a sophomore. There is still much to do but here is a bigger, stronger more confident kid that is hitting it pretty well these days. Thanks for all the input and always appreciate feedback.

Ihowser. Wow! You posted this video 9/3/2012 and your DD was a senior? I agree with Strike3 a lot of great information on this thread. I see u post a lot on here. I was just wondering what she is doing now? Did all of this information help her? How did she do on her senior year?

I also wanted to thank you for posting video of your dd. I know sometimes it is not easy to do but by you doing this it helps a lot of us. Even though it is a little over 3 years ago it still helping today!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Ihowser. Wow! You posted this video 9/3/2012 and your DD was a senior? I agree with Strike3 a lot of great information on this thread. I see u post a lot on here. I was just wondering what she is doing now? Did all of this information help her? How did she do on her senior year?

I also wanted to thank you for posting video of your dd. I know sometimes it is not easy to do but by you doing this it helps a lot of us. Even though it is a little over 3 years ago it still helping today!

Thanks!

I have benefited greatly from the input on this sight. I have been able to develop some very skilled players in our community and the imput on this site regarding hitting and fielding was a big factor. The "Internal Rotation" pitching thread changed the path for the better of at least a dozen girls I have worked will.

I have a daughter in high school still. My middle daughter in this thread have a great high school career. 4 year starter and state qualifier 3 of those years. She did not go on to play in college. could have pursued it but she wanted to really focus on her studies and I was fine with that. Her softball memories are some of her best.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I would have her release the bat on contact..let top hand go...she needs to do some two tee drills...front tee higher than back tee....don't hit front tee...that lack of extension is hurting her big time.

Not any more.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes