Help with swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think Justin Stone has a pretty good explanation of how the barrel gets turned. Do you agree?

Found the Stone video.

Stone states that the legs are the biggest engine in the swing and that the core is the second biggest engine. He believes that the core is not an active participant unless you make it so. He states that you make it active by providing upper body resistance to the lower body’s drive. What he means here is that he sees the swing as the lower body trying to open while the upper body resists opening.

He’s sort of correct, but incorrect in terms of the contributions for resistance. He appears to believe that the resistance is 100% due to scap loading. What he is missing is that part of the resistance to the upper body opening comes from the lateral tilting action. It is the lateral tilting action that puts the breaks on the upper body opening.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ffs,
Wouldn't the "brakes " to the scap/shoulders/hands be the core? The lateral tilting action comes from the back oblique. Which would be part of the core. In essence he is saying get the core involved so that the shoulders/hands can stay in sequence and come later in the swing. At least that's what I gathered from it. Am I in the ballpark with my analysis ? This is what I see in pro swings I think..

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This video clip was posted yesterday.

Griffey.gif

I wasn't able to view it where I was located. Thought I'd highlight two frames ....

Griffeyx.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I see the letters on the jersey turning up and forward (towards pitcher) as his first action when he goes into launch. Maybe intiated by his back hip.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So the legs and hips are mainly supporters during the "launch " portion of the swing ; but the legs do their main work setting up launch? But I see his upper back leg turn with the core turn/tilt movement. So are we talking about a movement in the right sagittal plane? Where most of the right sagittal plane is initiating the launch? Or just a core driven movement? Or the lateral tilt/turn that you have mentioned a bunch in this thread? I think I know your answer already.... lol

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So the legs and hips are mainly supporters during the "launch " portion of the swing ; but the legs do their main work setting up launch? But I see his upper back leg turn with the core turn/tilt movement. So are we talking about a movement in the right sagittal plane? Where most of the right sagittal plane is initiating the launch? Or just a core driven movement? Or the lateral tilt/turn that you have mentioned a bunch in this thread? I think I know your answer already.... lol

IMO this is why Jim Dixon Sr. (not junior) included the muscles in the upper rear leg in his definition of the core.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Fused to what? It looks like a tilting/ scrunching/ bending oblique is my best guess. I meant in a relative kind of way.
Not fused . I did that already with Epstein.

But my question was does the core take care of all this action or are other body parts involved?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ffs,

Was the golf video you put up earlier ,your opinion on how the launch should happen? I think the video was front hip and back elbow? Not sure ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish