Help with swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2015
Was part of this doing something with the rear scap? If so, what was done?
I did talk to DD about it and why she should do it but it kind of got lost in the other things we were working on. She changed her grip by lining up her knuckles which lowered her arms a bit and just worked on being more aggressive and trying to generate more power. Worked on the front elbow and getting the hands through. It's a work in progress and hopefully we're on the right track

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I did talk to DD about it and why she should do it but it kind of got lost in the other things we were working on. She changed her grip by lining up her knuckles which lowered her arms a bit and just worked on being more aggressive and trying to generate more power. Worked on the front elbow and getting the hands through. It's a work in progress and hopefully we're on the right track

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thank you. I tend to believe that the scap here is notably different and wasn't lost. Not saying it is what you want .... but it does look different.

Jan 28, 2017
IMO, she looks much better. 1. Hips moving forward when the shoulders start rotating or tilting. If you stop on contact shoulders a little over rotated. 2. Even though her finished picture looks good. She never has any weight in her back hip and losing a lot of power. 3. Rolls over to early. 4. Chest and belly button better but still ahead of the bat.

If I was working with her I would make her swing a couple of times tilting instead of rotating and see what it looked like.

Sep 3, 2015
IMO, she looks much better. 1. Hips moving forward when the shoulders start rotating or tilting. If you stop on contact shoulders a little over rotated. 2. Even though her finished picture looks good. She never has any weight in her back hip and losing a lot of power. 3. Rolls over to early. 4. Chest and belly button better but still ahead of the bat.

If I was working with her I would make her swing a couple of times tilting instead of rotating and see what it looked like.

She really wants to rotate those shoulders, going to be a tough habit to break.

So when she goes back and the front foot is off the ground there isn't any weight on the back hip?

What is a good cue or drill to help keep her chest and belly button back?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017
1. Shoulders should rotate and tilt. This will help you keep your chest behind the ball. Take a picture of the ball with your belly button as you hit it.
2. Hips are gone went she makes contact. She is loading her hips and they do start first to open you up. The bat is so far behind her hips she's not getting much power from her hips.

Jan 28, 2017
IMO, you hit the ball in front of your front hip. Some people will talk about being one legged. I'm not sure if one legged matters but to really drive the ball you must at some point have torque around your back hip. If you do that one legged fine or if you do it by pulling the front hip back at contact to drive the ball fine. I feel it gets you to the same place at the end. I think it's more of a timing thing for each kid.

Jeff Bagwell thanked all his Little League coaches for not changing his swing! I probably would have tried to change it.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Your DD needs to get back to basics.
Sorry this is going to 'hurt' but,...
Your DD doesn't coil. She sways back and sits in her rear leg. She then pulls hands up and back as front shoulder goes down because of the hands going up. That creates a stretch from the hands to the front leg(not where a hitter wants the stretch). Then when you DD swings it's all one unit of rotation of the rear side with a downward swing path. Your DD needs to be taught the proper sequence. Again JMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi