Help with Pitching Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
My dd is going on 13 and has been pitching for a little over a year. She is tall and has pretty good speed, I think, for just being into this really for a year, (She did pitch in 10U for about 8 months, but with speed her accuracy was an issue with her TB coach). Anyway she throws around the mid 40's to low 50's when everything is done correctly, quick whip, weight behind the ball, long arm....

However a few weeks ago, we went to practice and she seemed like it was her first practice. Couldn't find the plate and nothing over 30mph. It was really painful to watch. Her back was bent constantly and she couldn't figure out why she was leaning so much. This week as we are getting ready to warm up, we find out she told the parents who have lessons before us, and are friends of ours, that she doesn't know if she can take our money any more as she isn't getting thru to our dd. We went on with practice and it occurred to me that she was placing too much emphasis on keeping her weight back. Coach then had her speed up bringing her back foot up, and viola', her speed is back to popping the glove and hurting my fingers!

The coach then said "See you next week!". Question is will she, the coach be giving us 100%, or has she basically given up and will keep coaching until it gets difficult again? Should we, in mid season, look for another Pitching Coach?

I understand my dd, she is not the quickest to pick up change, and sometimes needs different styles to get thru to her, and maybe that is too much for our current coach. I think she is a very good athlete and coach-able, but it may take some effort on the coach as well to find her teaching spot, if you will.

Your input is always welcome.

Jan 27, 2010
Sounds to me like your DD may have been going through the motions and the instructor needed to get someone's attention.

Oct 22, 2009
Sounds to me like your DD may have been going through the motions and the instructor needed to get someone's attention.

I'm not saying your DD was being difficult and not trying to do what the instructor asked her. And I do not know anything about your DD's instructor.
But the only time I say that to a student, is when the student just --wants to do her way -- and not listen, not practice at home and makes no improvement from week to week.

Jul 26, 2010
Your daughter can control two things (I'm sure you've heard this before): Attitude and Effort.

Everything else is the job of the coach to teach, refine, and correct.

If your daughter is failing with great gusto and good attitude, then it is not your daughter's fault. If your daughter seems like she isn't trying, then it is your daughters fault. It can be very frustrating for an instructor to deal with this kind of kid, remember, your daughter isn't part of his/her team, it's a private tutoring and the rules are different for behavior.

-W

Feb 15, 2011
FL
I really think she wants to learn, her goal is college as a pitcher. We practice all but two nights a week, one of those days being a hitting lessons. I also think she listens, just not sure if she understands. I really am concerned if the coach even wants to continue to try and break thru.

Oct 19, 2009
I tell my daughter that one of the main things to learn in pitching class is how to be aware when something is off and learn how to correct it herself. The best coaches IMO instead of the coach fixing the player, make the player fix themselves, because the instructor is going to be with her in a game. The player must find the problem and fix it herself, to do this she has to be aware of her body movements.

Example:
Coach, why do you think you speed is down? Let the player give her answer. Coach, what I see is you are slow bringing you back foot up have you been feeling that? Let player answer. Coach, lets try bringing up that back foot quicker and see what happens.

When something is off a player must be able to adjust, and correct it herself.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't understand:

(1) Your DD was struggling with pitching.
(2) The coach was getting frustrated with her lack of progress.
(3) You came up with an idea, and then the coach implements a way to address your idea.
(4) Your DD became better.

So, exactly what part of this don't you like? You would prefer your DD didn't become better?

It seems to me you are over-reacting to the whole deal.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
I tell my daughter that one of the main things to learn in pitching class is how to be aware when something is off and learn how to correct it herself.
Yes, yes, yes.

I can't wait till that actually clicks. I know it hasn't yet because my DD has started pitching in games again and she's not "auto" correcting yet.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
It seems to me you are over-reacting to the whole deal.[/QUOTE]

With me, a dad, possible.

Just not sure if the coach is willing anymore to teach my dd. Bad enough she did not come to us first about her concerns, but the drama and willingness of her to give up on my dd. My dd really isn't struggling, I mean the birds and worms are in little danger while pitching, we are in the process of continuing her improvement. She has very low ERA, but still we would like to improve the strike/ball ratio per batter and get her speed to continue to improve.

She does have her days, but as I see it, so did Greg Maddux. I need someone who can help on those days and to help minimize their frequency and duration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks