Help with Pitching Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
It sounds from what your DD's PC said that your DD isn't where she thinks she should be at this time.
She probably doesn't believe your DD is understanding enough of what she is teaching and having productive workouts.

If you think it's the PC's fault, then find another.
If you think it may by your DD, then make sure at your next few workouts you see if your DD is recognizing what is going wrong. When she makes a mistake, ask her, "What did you do?" See if she knows.
She may not have any idea, then you need to work with her to figure out why it happens and how to self correct.
She cannot self correct herself if she doesn't even know what is wrong.

Mar 13, 2010
My biggest issue would be that the coach went to an outsider and not you about what she was thinking. Very unprofessional.

May 7, 2008
Sometimes giving pitching lessons can be frustrating for the lesson giver too! I have some students where a mechanical problems is clear, but despite every thing I can think of and try (drills, video, mirrors, etc) they just cant seem to change what their body does. I have made that statement " i cant find a way to help you fix what I know is wrong, and you understand what it is and maybe you need to find somebody else who is more clever/smarter/ more experienced, etc, I feel guilty taking your money...."

They keep coming back.. but at least I am honest with them that I'm frustrated too!

Nov 29, 2009
Sometimes it's neither the coach or student who is at fault. There are 4 types of kids out there.

1) The PC's dream. Big, strong, fast, loose, athletic, works hard, has an intelligent parent who works with them and takes what is taught and instantly applies it. Very rare to find.

2) The PC's fee earner. They come in all shapes and sizes. They have to work for everything they get with varying success. Most common.

3) The PC's dilemma. These girls try. They want to pitch badly. They just don't have the physical skills to do it well no matter what. Do you drop them or let them go till they decide to give it up on their own?

4) The PC's nightmare. The girl is there because mom or dad wants them to pitch. No practice. No improvement. Bad attitude. But the parents keep bringing them back. No matter what you say or do you're in a bad situation.

I've had all four different types. Sometimes all at the same time. I always tell the parents I will keep working with their daughter as long as the girl wants to try and learn. The #3 and #4's usually quit on their own after a short while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd