Help with my 14 year old swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Take a look at the gif

What is interesting to me is that her left arm goes straight back, parallel to the ground, but her right hand comes off and does a kinda "wax off" circular motion. Most people's right hand\top hand end up pointing at the left\opposite shoulder when it comes off the bat.

jj_seq.jpg

If you had her do the "throw the bat drill" I wonder how her hands would end up...CP

CP

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
Could u explain the throw the bat drill? please. Thanks. I know her finish looked weird to me she used to slap her back on follow threw with both hands and had a College coach tell her to try and finish with out hitting your back he said he thinks that move reduces bat speed. This is a work in progress lol but she wants to be the best hitter she can be so that's why we are here. I will record some front toss at practice tonight. To compare what her swing looks like against a moving ball.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Most people's right hand\top hand end up pointing at the left\opposite shoulder when it comes off the bat.
Pujols_Albert_CF.Med_D.CF_13.06.27_R.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Very nice!

One other constructive nit pick...her right hand flies off the handle too soon. Now it's tough to tell why because I lose sight of her left hand but I've seen plenty of hitters\golfers have the top hand come flying off when they do not allow the bottom hand to externally rotate freely.

As a point of reference, look at when Cabrera's right hand comes off the bat in relation to your daughter's
youtube;1fFJVFPXmV8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fFJVFPXmV8

Basically, she needs to learn the feel of the barrel trying to pull her ......

When trying to re-gain that feel it helps to keep both hands on the bat through follow through. Once the feel is re-captured it is easy enough to transition back to a top hand release.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I wish I could see her feet. . .

Is she pointing her front foot towards the pitcher when she puts it down?

See the gif in rdbass post #13 of Pujols. His front foot is closed. Many times the "off balance" finish can be a result of the front foot pointing out toward the pitcher.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
I will check I think its usually at a 45% angle when she swings but I will try to get her feet in the video tonight. I am a beginner at the video stuff. Thanks.

Jan 3, 2014
I am no hitting coach but I wish my DD would put that sort of aggression into her swing. Her coaches are constantly after her to swing with "violence".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODorr