Help with my 14 year old swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
[video]http://ubersen.se/app_yt[/video]Hey hope this uploaded. I am new to this technology. I would appreciate any feed back and help with my daughters swing. She is trying to do a better job of separating her upper and lower body. We are new to this type of swing but she is trying to learn and wants to know what to work on and some drills to help. Any feedback would be appreciated she said she has thick skin so she can handle the negative. :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Violence!!

I would start by have her learn about staying balanced and a little bit more controlled. Some "walk-through/Happy Gilmore" drills might be helpful.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
Thanks, I think she must have had a stressful day. lol. I have been trying to get her to swing with little more conviction she usuallyhas a more controlled swing but seems that her hands move forward with her stride which leaks power. we do the happy Gilmore as one of her tee drills to help with her timing and to try to feel her hands staying or going back as her stride goes forward. I'm having a tough time trying to help her.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks, I think she must have had a stressful day. lol. I have been trying to get her to swing with little more conviction she usuallyhas a more controlled swing but seems that her hands move forward with her stride which leaks power. we do the happy Gilmore as one of her tee drills to help with her timing and to try to feel her hands staying or going back as her stride goes forward. I'm having a tough time trying to help her.

It's been proven over and over again - no one has a harder time teaching young girls than their own dads.

She certainly doesn't seem to be lacking conviction - lol.

As for her mechanics, she does get the lower body going first, and actually creates a better corner than a lot of young hitters. On her load (negative move), however, her rear knee is rotating rearward past her rear foot. We can't see her feet, but having her start with her rear foot angled slightly inward may help to encourage keeping the rear knee inside the rear foot. Have her focus on feeling the coil in her rear hip and upper leg.

I am curious to see her hitting moving balls.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
Thanks Eric I will tell her bout the back foot placement and feeling the coil. She has practice tonight I will try to video some front toss at practice.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Very nice!

One other constructive nit pick...her right hand flies off the handle too soon. Now it's tough to tell why because I lose sight of her left hand but I've seen plenty of hitters\golfers have the top hand come flying off when they do not allow the bottom hand to externally rotate freely.

As a point of reference, look at when Cabrera's right hand comes off the bat in relation to your daughter's

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
It definitely looks like she is in a hurry to let go of the bat. I'm not sure why. I will try and get a better video where you can see the swing unobstructed. Thanks for the feed back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet