Help with my 14 year old swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
Thanks. She has always had a smooth swing and a good line drive high avg hitter. We have been trying to change to a more powerful swing. She went to UGA hitting camp and is trying to implement some of there sequence and separation methods. we want more of the turning the barrel but im trying to learn more about that here. I love this site and the knowledge of the folks on it. Camp is the first place she heard of the power V and we have been trying to get the kinks worked out before the summer showcases and Premier. She has a ultimate goal of playing in the SEC so she is working her tell off to get better.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks. She has always had a smooth swing and a good line drive high avg hitter. We have been trying to change to a more powerful swing. She went to UGA hitting camp and is trying to implement some of there sequence and separation methods. we want more of the turning the barrel but im trying to learn more about that here. I love this site and the knowledge of the folks on it. Camp is the first place she heard of the power V and we have been trying to get the kinks worked out before the summer showcases and Premier. She has a ultimate goal of playing in the SEC so she is working her tell off to get better.

If she has a strong desire to improve, and the work-ethic to drive it, the best thing you can do is provide her some good guidance, either by educating yourself (which is not a bad idea, regardless), or finding a hitting instructor that is teaching the things you believe in.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
The hitting coaches in our area don't teach the kind of swing we are trying to go to. So I am trying to learn as much as possible and I have her trying to learn as well. So she can be able to understand her swing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The hitting coaches in our area don't teach the kind of swing we are trying to go to. So I am trying to learn as much as possible and I have her trying to learn as well. So she can be able to understand her swing.

Good! She's old enough where she can understand a lot of the discussion. One thing that might be very helpful is to have her watch video of one of her favorite hitters in slo-mo, stand in front of a mirror and try to duplicate the swing (also in slo-mo). Have her pay attention to the sequence of when things occur, hand and elbow positions, hip and shoulder rotations, barrel movement, etc. Understanding (feeling) the movements in slo-mo can be extremely productive in getting them to happen properly at full speed.

Here's my favorite template...
Cabrera_FB_highside_sync.gif

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
[video=youtube_share;Ia5DnN1W29E]http://youtu.be/Ia5DnN1W29E[/video]

I see we definitely are loading outside the back foot.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Well i love how much bat speed she generates. Balls go along way when she hits it just right, I would guess.... She has so much good in her swing.
What I do see is the upper alittle bit in front of the lower half.
Small adjustment.
Try the SNF for a feeling
Make sure she is pushing off on the back foot with the pad and big toe and not all five toes when she fires.
Fine adjustment....Better hip drive

Straightleg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
Thanks for the feedback. sorry to sound dumb what is SNF ? I will remind her to push with the pad and big toe. Her upper half does lead some that is something we have been fighting. I appreciate all the help from the board. We have not had time to work on drills today she had practice tonight. we will be trying some of the suggestion starting tomorrow . Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67