Help with keeping a strong/firm front side at release!! Video!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If you find out let me know. My DD 8 YO has the same forward lean as yours. Her PC (just started) suggested mirror work to try and fix the form so we are going to work on that over the next few weeks.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I used to fix this (or attempt to) with about every student. Now, I don't let it start. I teach correct mechanics from day 1 and stress stay back - core strength - creating a resistance (front leg and straight back) and stork drills. Once the lean or bend creeps in again, we go right back to stork drills.

This is muscle memory that you are trying to correct. I would suggest not letting them pitch, until they improve their mechanics, because they will be somewhat successful, while ingraining poor mechanics.

Also, we work every lesson on proper overhand throw and long toss. If they haven't learned overhand throw, it is hard to figure out how to pitch.

Jul 26, 2010
Her lower body mechanics need a lot of work. Her stride is too long for her strength, her front knee is collapsing. She's not following through closing her back leg at all, which is serving as an anchor. She is going to be forward as long as she keeps leaving her back leg out there. The back foot needs to close at the same time that the arm whips, not after.

She's young, get her a good pitching instructor and start with a good foundation and go from there.

-W

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Over the years i've tried several different things to stop leaning. I agree with starsnuffer that a shorter stride and bringing the legs together will probably solve it. Sometimes the pitcher is not aware of the lean. I uploaded a short clip of 2 things I have used in the past with good results with my younger students.

[video=youtube_share;2LvYFW_xjc8]http://youtu.be/2LvYFW_xjc8[/video]

Feb 20, 2012
Arizona is a great place to live and teach. I will bet you teach outside year around. Looks like you got a good routine.

Feb 20, 2012
seem like the way you are teaching it does not really address weight back. She is finishing with her hips open and shoulders closed. To keep from leaning forward (which is not easy to teach) I would think that you have to start with the proper use of the hip snap and the throwing shoulder back and down on S/R then it is easier to finish upright.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
There is a lot going on, and a domino effect of things causing other things, so if she's not with an instructor already I'd get her some lessons. In the meantime, she's got a great net next to her wherever she's pitching. Turn her around so that the catcher is at the other end of the cage and she's facing the net, standing really close. With correct mechanics, she should be able to make a clear lane between her and the net and deliver the ball through it. She will be able to see if leaning puts her face closer to the net.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs