help with a 9 year old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 17, 2009
My nine year old DD has great mechanics and speed for a 9 yr old. ( She turned 9 in Sept.) She has been seeing a pitching coach regularly for the last 6 months. Her problem is not accuracy at all. She can hit her spots 70-80% of the time. Her biggest problem is nerves. She's great in the bullpen and at practice but put a batter in the batter's box and her speed and accuracy are out the window. Tonight her mechanics ( one of her strong suits ) started going away. Is this a common thing or is there something that will help her get through it? Any help is appreciated.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
I noticed both my kids throwing the ball way outside when facing live batters, as if they are afraid of hitting someone.

I've started using something as a stand-in for a hitter sometimes when practicing at home. Just putting something in the "batters box" to simulate a hitter ( I use a step-ladder, but anything will do...garbage can, bicycle, etc)

Mar 6, 2009
I think for most pitchers this is a normal thing. At least they will feel it at one time or another. I think it is similar to a "golfers eye". Meaning, on some holes your eye doesn't see trouble and you can put a good swing on the ball and on other holes, you can't get the trouble out of your mind.

IMHO, the way I would tackle this issue would be to use a live batter (including yourself) and/or other items. I would then also get good at working the outside corner and slightly off the plate first. It will be her "safe zone". Then work her over time over the rest of the plate. The key is for her to not see the batter. It may also be wise to consider having her throw to a target on a wall or fence versus a catcher as the goal is to have her see a target not a person. You can make a fun game out of it by having her friends or her try to distract her while she is pitching. (I.E. Waving the bat, yelling at her from the dugout, crowding the plate etc..)

Ultimately, you will need for her to mentally block out the batter by only seeing her catchers glove and throwing the specified pitch to the appropriate location. Be patient, as this skill is something that can take a long time to become good at and IMHO will never be mastered. Pitching is about making adjustments and your "pitching eye" will many times change from outing to outing. You have to be mentally strong to be able to work through all of the variables you will face when pitching. This is her first step in being a "pitcher" vs. "thrower".

Bill

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The above advice was exactly what I would say.

I will add, move your glove around when catching her and sit on something low (not a tall bucket.)

She actually sounds fine, for her age.

Oh, don't forget to hit lots of ground balls and line drives back at her and have her throw to first base.

You can get 2 of those little kid punching bags that you blow up. Put one in the right handed batters back and one in the left. Tell her to focus on the glove. But, remember she is 9 years old so I would say this is pretty common.

Oct 17, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys. Worked this week with a garbage can in the batters box. Started her outside and slowly worked her in. We played a rec. team tonight as a scrimmage and she got to pitch a few innings and did great. Only had 1 walk and never got worked up. Biggest thing I saw her do out there was SMILE!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12