Help speeding up reaction time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
yeah. I do it with my teams. The entire infield will converge for the pitch sign. They all have an idea of where the ball will be hit and are better prepared. They then relay the sign to OFers behind their backs and the entire defense is on the ‘same page’. If you have a defense that is slow or undisciplined. This is definitely the way to go. I do it if we are stout defensively or not. It’s amazing how much better the defense ‘reacts’ when they have an idea. If the pitcher is off, forget about it. LOL.
I second this. As a third baseman if I know off speed is being thrown I am way more ready and alert to field for sure and my fielding percentage goes up by simply the added expectation it’s going to be hit to me.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
This was already posted here but since it's relevant I'll post it again.

Excellent definition of their process. Recommend you listen to the words in this video and the video in post #13 very closely multiple times. If you want to get very good at it study the best, the Japanese national team.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Oh yeah, tennis balls do work. They will be seeing a ball moving very quickly. React. They build confidence. They take a couple off the chest or forearm or bicep or face mask. They get the goalie mentality.
Agree! Learning to react to a faster speed of the tennis ball... Makes the softball in compairison slower.

Played racquetball...
ball travels well over (Edit) 100mph.
reacting to that and then reacting to grounders... grounders were easy.

Body learns timing & coordination at a greater speed.

Always encourage catchers to catch for older/faster/more movement/better spin pitchers to train with.
When they go back to catching their team's pitcher it becomes more manageable for them, its slower and easier to react to.

Last edited:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Agree! Learning to react to a faster speed of the tennis ball... Makes the softball in compairison slower.

Played racquetball...
ball travels well over 200mph.
reacting to that and then reacting to grounders... grounders were easy.

Body learns timing & coordination at a greater speed.

Always encourage catchers to catch for older/faster/more movement/better spin pitchers to train with.
When they go back to catching their team's pitcher it becomes more manageable for them, its slower and easier to react to.

Well over 200 MPH? Who do you play against?

I googled racquetball serve speed and got this:

The leading pros and top power-hitting amateurs can hit drive serves regularly in the 150–160mph range. A radar gun at a recent pro stop attempted to catch the speed of balls on the serve and in the rallies and routinely found even the players less-renowned for power were generally in the mid 140 mph range.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Well over 200 MPH? Who do you play against?

I googled racquetball serve speed and got this:

The leading pros and top power-hitting amateurs can hit drive serves regularly in the 150–160mph range. A radar gun at a recent pro stop attempted to catch the speed of balls on the serve and in the rallies and routinely found even the players less-renowned for power were generally in the mid 140 mph range.
THANKU for the fact check.
Was going by shadey memory of a sports show compairisons on sports.

Still the example works!

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I agree the analogy is there. I show our players the way tennis players return serves as a vehicle to introduce the "hop".

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Heres an easy read article
Just googled

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying