Help speeding up reaction time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 7, 2019
My daughter has always been solid at 3rd but i’ve noticed lately she’s letting too many balls by her. She’s down aet and ready every time and then a hard ball gets hit to her and too often she’s slow to react or is simply not quick enough.

My question is what are some good drills to help speed her reaction time up to make those plays on hard balls? Any other advice?

She will be moving up to 14u this year.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Tennis balls hit with a tennis racquet from about 45 to 50 feet. Just blast them past her. She cant get hurt too bad.
This thing works too. Time her and try to get faster. Standing up, put her hands on each thigh. When the star is on the right she slaps her right thigh. When the star is on the line she slaps both thighs. star on the left, slap left thigh. Faster the better. It is not as easy as it looks. Can put her glove on and go forearm , between the knees and backhand too.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019
Thanks for the tip. So basically she just reads that chart and has to go through the sequence?

With the tennis balls should she try to catch them with her glove?

May 23, 2015
Reps!

I prefer a pitching machine if you have one or cut the distance down and fungi to the best of your abilities. Set her up 2 steps off the line. If she does well 3 steps and so on. Playing a corner requires a player to know their limitations and expectations

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
My daughter has always been solid at 3rd but i’ve noticed lately she’s letting too many balls by her. She’s down aet and ready every time and then a hard ball gets hit to her and too often she’s slow to react or is simply not quick enough.

My question is what are some good drills to help speed her reaction time up to make those plays on hard balls? Any other advice?

She will be moving up to 14u this year.
Have any videos? May be something in her setup.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Thanks for the tip. So basically she just reads that chart and has to go through the sequence?

With the tennis balls should she try to catch them with her glove?
yes and yes. The tennis balls will bounce out of her glove a lot but tell her just get some leather on it.
The pitching machine is good too. I like the tennis balls because it reduces the fear of getting hurt.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was a few feet from the fence and I threw balls pretty hard at her. Usually off her body because I did not want to hurt her.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
By set, do you mean stationary? Is she settled on her heels?
Infielders set up needs to be somewhat dynamic, not static. Look at the number of good infielders who are in motion when the ball is pitched.

Aug 7, 2019
I think her set position is part of the issue too. She’s on her toes but feet are staggered so I believe some of the issues are in her footwork and stance.