Help speeding up reaction time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That would be awkward to be staggered and only on toes. That would be like walking only on your toes.

Prefer a foundation that is already balanced and strong ready to explode in any direction.
Try a simple adjustment of changing her foundation and do some explosive work in all directions and see if she does better with an even stance flat-footed.

You can do simple hop turn sprint in any direction, left, right or behind. Work on moving forward to bunts.

Do hope turn sprints from both starting positions....she will recognize the difference.
Staggered on toes position is doing a lot of extra work just to stand there that is unnecessary in my opinion.
Staggered on toes needs to rebalanced befor being able to explode all directions.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020
Tennis balls are not going to work. She's 14 she needs to be working with softballs. Also you have to keep in consideration that ground balls hit to the corners are runners. They will all have top spin. If she's slow to react no then she's not use to seeing real balls in practice

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I think her set position is part of the issue too. She’s on her toes but feet are staggered so I believe some of the issues are in her footwork and stance.
A lot is being said in this. Maybe it will strike a cord for her.

Aug 7, 2019
A lot is being said in this. Maybe it will strike a cord for her.

Thanks! Yup. I think that’s her issue. She’s always been taught to have her glove down on the ground and it actually causes her to be slower to react to the sides. I will be showing her this and going over it with her.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Thanks! Yup. I think that’s her issue. She’s always been taught to have her glove down on the ground and it actually causes her to be slower to react to the sides. I will be showing her this and going over it with her.
She needs new coaches. Glove on the ground is for 6u.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
*HIT* groundballs to her. Don't roll them to her.

In addition to proper positioning, the ability to read the ball off the bat is critical. If you practice, you can hit a bucket of balls quicker than you can roll them.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Oh yeah, tennis balls do work. They will be seeing a ball moving very quickly. React. They build confidence. They take a couple off the chest or forearm or bicep or face mask. They get the goalie mentality.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I have seen this practiced. I like it. It looks cool. If the players understood it and it worked it would really be cool.

yeah. I do it with my teams. The entire infield will converge for the pitch sign. They all have an idea of where the ball will be hit and are better prepared. They then relay the sign to OFers behind their backs and the entire defense is on the ‘same page’. If you have a defense that is slow or undisciplined. This is definitely the way to go. I do it if we are stout defensively or not. It’s amazing how much better the defense ‘reacts’ when they have an idea. If the pitcher is off, forget about it. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog