Help please!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
If she has not played travel ball before, I would lean towards starting with the 14U and go from there. Does she want to play in college? Travel ball is a HUGE commitment and often made by players who want to play in college as well.

Also, I thought that UIL frowned on HS coaches coaching their players on travel ball teams?

I don't know what "high school level" means.
Same here. ^^^

I always say, "Play on the very best team you can get on where you will get some playing time, even if you have to fight for it."

Now, it is up to you and your DD to determine which of the two teams is the better team. After you've done that, then try and determine if she will get some PT on that team or needs to perhaps consider the other one. She has to play to get better so doing a realistic assessment of her talent and skill level as they relate to her potential teammates is imperative.

Also, when doing your evaluations, please do not be swayed by the age level of either team. It is entirely possible that the 14U ballclub is the better team .... maybe even significantly better. Of course, vice versa may also be true. Just don't get caught up in the whole age thing and "playing up" being the goal. Finding the best team is the priority.

Sep 9, 2014
Ok when i said High school level i meant 18U. Both teams compete in class A with good records and coaching. They both have good programs, my main concern is that one team will carry 12 players most my DDs age and the other will carry 14 players and my DD is the youngest by at least a year.

I appreciate all your inputs! Thanks

Sep 29, 2014
Ok when i said High school level i meant 18U. Both teams compete in class A with good records and coaching. They both have good programs, my main concern is that one team will carry 12 players most my DDs age and the other will carry 14 players and my DD is the youngest by at least a year.

I appreciate all your inputs! Thanks

You are thinking age and not talent if she is better than 13 of the girls that are older than her she is not going to have an issue with playing time and getting good experience.

If they are both quality programs with good coaching again I would probably lean towards staying in age group unless as I said she will be an instant impact player on the higher level team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For 18U softball, 14 players is not too many. 18U softball is much more physical than 14U softball. So, kids do get hurt. There is always a sprained ankle to deal with. And, at that age, players do quit. So, you need kids in reserve.

Part of the issue is we do not know how "good" your DD is.

Child prodigies in softball do happen. Samantha Findlay (she hit the homerun to win the CWS for Michigan in 2005) was playing 18U at 12YOA. My DD#1 pitched her first 18U game at 13YOA. If your DD is "good", she might get bored with 14U softball.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I want to put a stop to the notion that "if you aren't playing, you aren't getting better". Nothing is further from the truth. Do you get better by sitting in the dugout waiting for your turn at bat or by taking that same amount of time and taking 100 swings off the tee or in the cage? Are you getting better waiting for that one or two balls that get put in play your way or do you get better by taking 100 ground balls and 100 fly balls in the same amount of time it takes to play a game? Games teach you situational awareness, which is important, but your skills are not improving during a game. You improve your skills in practice, which is what the goal should be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00