Help My DD is breaking wrist and bat head drops early in her swing swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She needs to load her rear elbow/arm before the swing to get her top hand into a position to throw the barrel instead of using so much bottom hand/front side.

She will also benefit from keeping her front foot from opening/pointing toward the pitcher. Keeping the front foot closed or square to the plate will allow for more leverage to be used from the backside and top hand.

If the front foot opens, the front knee will open too much, then the hip opens too much/too soon, etc...

There is a mechanical advantage, well documented in golf, for the front foot to open somewhat as the front heel is 'planted'. Fairly common to see it in the baseball/softball swing as well.

2ylr9lf.gif

24oq5qh.gif

142zzo1.gif

eaf6uh.gif

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio

This isn't golf... The Ball is moving and comes in at different speeds. Big point here is that all of those players try to keep the foot from opening so that at game speed the result ends up being what you see in the clips. If they practiced opening the front foot, the foot would open too much at game speed.

There is also a difference between the swing opening the front foot up, and the front foot opening the swing... The swing will certainly open the foot slightly, but too much is not a good thing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This isn't golf... The Ball is moving and comes in at different speeds. Big point here is that all of those players try to keep the foot from opening so that at game speed the result ends up being what you see in the clips. If they practiced opening the front foot, the foot would open too much at game speed.

There is also a difference between the swing opening the front foot up, and the front foot opening the swing... The swing will certainly open the foot slightly, but too much is not a good thing.

I agree that this isn't golf. The big point here is that the front foot in the baseball swing often ends up landing on the ground, with the heel planted, as we see above ... which is not square with the pitcher.

I certainly agree that opening the foot too much is a bad thing ... but completely restricting it from opening isn't necessarily the best thing either.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I agree that this isn't golf. The big point here is that the front foot in the baseball swing often ends up landing on the ground, with the heel planted, as we see above ... which is not square with the pitcher.

I certainly agree that opening the foot too much is a bad thing ... but completely restricting it from opening isn't necessarily the best thing either.

I completely agree. I was trying to point out that the video of the young girl that was seeking help shows her front foot wide open at the very moment her foot touches the ground. Her heel is behind her toe as her front foot touches the ground (open).

The clips that you provided show the hitters heel and toe relationship in a square/closed position at the moment of touchdown or toe-touch. It then opens at heel plant.

Those hitters are trying to stay square or closed at the moment their toe touches the ground... And they are doing so.

Some great hitters actually stay closed at heel plant as well.

images.jpgimages-1.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I agree with you Jim ... this girl has an issue of excessively opening up prematurely.

Very often you'll see what you describe ... the front foot remaining closed to toe-touch and opening into heel plant. To me, this has to do with the transition from Fwd-by-Coiling. I agree that there is an intent to keep the front foot closed ... it assists with keeping the body coiled ... some use the cue of "show the pitcher the back pocket" (the rear pocket of the front leg). I just don't believe that one should maintain that intent to keep the front foot closed past the end of the Fwd-by-Coil (approximately at toe-touch for many hitters).

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I agree with you Jim ... this girl has an issue of excessively opening up prematurely.

Very often you'll see what you describe ... the front foot remaining closed to toe-touch and opening into heel plant. To me, this has to do with the transition from Fwd-by-Coiling. I agree that there is an intent to keep the front foot closed ... it assists with keeping the body coiled ... some use the cue of "show the pitcher the back pocket" (the rear pocket of the front leg). I just don't believe that one should maintain that intent to keep the front foot closed past the end of the Fwd-by-Coil (approximately at toe-touch for many hitters).

Indeed. We are on the same page. Well said.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks after watching the video a few times it looks like there is a lot more wrong than just dropping the hands and the Bat drag but we will work on the hands first. I'll work with her to get the hands down a bit to start with and we will give the inverted top hand a try as well. Thanks for your input.
Part Time Cather

How a hitter positions their hands in their stance is a matter of style. Technically there is no reason or advantage to hold the hands in the stance any higher than where the highest strike will be called. Typically around the letters. I prefer a lower handset where the top hand is positioned at about armpit height. However in the end it's a style choice and it's up to the kids to figure out a handset position that works for them.

Whenever I come across a player that slots their back elbow (tucks back elbow down to side in preparation to swing the bat) by simply dropping their hands, I correct it by teaching them a sequence. Here is what the basic sequence looks like IMO:

2j0dxyc.gif

Notice when Slaught breaks his hands how his throwing hand drops down prior to it moving back and then up. Notice how the lowering of the hand occurs at about the same time that his front foot is lifted. Then notice how his throwing hand goes back and up as he strides.

Right now, your DD's swing is missing the hitting equivalent of the "hand break" action that occurs when we throw overhand correctly. If she were to throw overhand the way she swings, she would start with the ball at about ear height and simply drop her hand straight down to her side prior to throwing the ball.

If your DD's swing were to follow the sequence that Slaught demonstrates in the video clip, your DD's hands would:

A) Pump down and go back and up to armpit height if she used a lower handset; or...

B) Go back and down to armpit height as if her hands were going down a slide; if she used a higher handset

IOW, the initial lowering of the hands will occur regardless of where she starts her hands in her stance. A lower handset will give the appearance of an up and down hand pump. A higher handset will give the appearance of the hands going down a slide. Either is perfectly acceptable. The absolute is not the height of her hands in her stance. The absolute is the "hand break" seen in the overhand throw. My DD can start her hands from almost anywhere and still end up with a decent sequence, because she understands how the "hand break" in throwing translates to hitting. I have actually had her throw a ball starting with her hands together with ball in glove from various heights and positions to help her better understand how the overhand throw sequence relates to hitting.

One thing you could try is to have your DD hold a ball in her glove starting in her batting stance and have her throw. If she throws correctly, she should be able to get the correct action fairly quickly.

Once she incorporates the overhand "hand break" action in her swing, her hands should be going back and seeking out armpit height during her stride, regardless of where her hands start from in her stance. Phase two is to teach her to throw the barrel correctly once her hands get close to armpit height. She may do it naturally as a result of the sequence. You may have to do some tweaking.

My DD performs the basic throwing action correctly, but she delays her throw about one frame too many, so we are doing some tweaking to fix that.

I wouldn't worry about doing reverse top hand drills right now. I could easily make an argument that reverse top hand drills do not create the proper action necessary for extension. When your DD learns to throw the barrel correctly, extension should take care of itself. My DD has never had to do any extension related drills because she works her back arm correctly. Even with my DD's slight delay in throwing the barrel she still achieves extension.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Wellphyt,
Really enjoy your posts.Not that my DD is no where near as good as your DD,but you/DD seemed to have had some problems that my DD has.You have corrected her problems and share in "average dad speak" on how you went about correcting them.You speak of how important the throw is to hitting which I understand now on how it relates to hitting.The only problem for us trying to teach DD to throw sidearm or skip a rock is like trying to teach DD how to hit.lol Thanks.