Help My DD is breaking wrist and bat head drops early in her swing swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hi looking for some help with my DD's swing. Basically when she begins the hands moving forward, the bat head drops below her hands and her wrists break. Im looking for a drill or something to help.
Thanks

Part Time Catcher

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You may want to start by posting some video. Then, tell us how old she is, what bat weight and length she uses and is she is taking hitting lessons or not.

Amy good idea. DD is 11 and starting her second year of TB. She swings a 30" 19oz bat. She is not currently seeing a HC. Her coaches and I are trying to fix her but if we cant thats the next step.

Thanks for you help
Part Time Catcher

[video=youtube_share;Nk0ukX6O-8I]http://youtu.be/Nk0ukX6O-8I[/video]

Last edited:

Ital

Banned
Mar 21, 2012
Whenever you see a kid dropping the bat they invariably start with their hands too high. The more "on plane" they begin, the more likely they will stay on plane. She needs a nice, short practice swing for starters. This video helps break down the swing for beginners. Watch the legs/balance and follow through especially.

Rotational Swing Analysis - YouTube

Thanks after watching the video a few times it looks like there is a lot more wrong than just dropping the hands and the Bat drag but we will work on the hands first. I'll work with her to get the hands down a bit to start with and we will give the inverted top hand a try as well. Thanks for your input.
Part Time Cather

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Yes the bat drag is substantial. The lower body needs work too and I would start there. She strides by turning her toe straight out to the pitcher and landing on a very flat foot.

I would have her exaggerate her left lift a bit, and land on her big toe. As her front heel comes down the back heel will very shortly start to come up and she needs to get that feel of the hips and torso coming through and leaving the hands back a tiny bit more. I think the improvement in the lower body would help her overcome her bat drag.

The brain is incredible. It will do something that makes sense. When her lower body action is so "dead" her brain is telling her to drag the hands through, which makes sense at that point because there is not power or rotation from below.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
She needs to load her rear elbow/arm before the swing to get her top hand into a position to throw the barrel instead of using so much bottom hand/front side.

She will also benefit from keeping her front foot from opening/pointing toward the pitcher. Keeping the front foot closed or square to the plate will allow for more leverage to be used from the backside and top hand.

If the front foot opens, the front knee will open too much, then the hip opens too much/too soon, etc...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12