Help me interpret this answer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
You can tell Amanda had an HE instructor at one point since she pulls into a faux HE finish. Boardmember once posted a video of a young girl with an HE instructor. Every time the girl threw, she used IR, but would force her follow through into an HE finish. The coach couldn't give her enough praise even though the student was pitching nothing like she was being instructed. As long as she finished in a classic HE pose, the instructor was happy.

And clueless.
That's how it was at the Jennie Finch camp we went to. Straight from Jennie herself. I'd warned my dd going in, thanks to DFP. Hard to tell your 9 year old not to listen to Jennie Finch though.

Feb 7, 2013
We can all feel your pain. I would guess that 90+% of all pitching instructors teach some form of hello elbow mechanics and/or have no idea how to teach proper arm whip mechanics. With that said, you need to pick your battles. For example, you need to ask yourself does the instructor teach other valuable skills, such as drive mechanics, wisdom about game and pitching strategy, is your DD comfortable around her PC, does she enjoy the lesson, does the PC teach how to properly field her position, is she a mentor to your DD, etc. My point is does the PC add value in other ways that might be just as important? Remember, she is only spending time with your DD, 2x a month for 1 hour? The vast majority of her pitching practice will be spent with YOU and her teammates. That is where she will really grow as a pitcher.

My DD started pitching at 7YO (she is 13 now). She is on her 4th PC (hopefully last?) and her PC will say some things that make no sense to me, but overall, she doesn't mess with arm whip mechanics too much and focuses more on drive mechanics, glove location, body position at release, experimenting with pitch grip, explosion off the rubber, and the important of spin and pitch location. Do I feel like she is full of crap sometimes, yes, but I explain this to my DD on the ride home so she knows to focus on the positive coaching aspects and dismisses the incorrect info. One thing I like about her current PC is she played the game at a very high level and shares these stories with DD. She is an inspiration to her and has been there and done that so she can empathize and relate to my DD as she goes down this journey. This PC/pitching student chemistry is vitally important but rarely discussed here as we tend to focus more on the mechanics of the pitch.

At the end of the day, YOU are your DD's secondary PC and will help her perfect her craft. You figured this out early on (whether you realize it or not) and this will greatly enhance your DD's ability to excel at her position, if she wants to put in the time.

Jun 12, 2015
We decided officially tonight to stick with our current PC despite the extra distance. I figure the extra 20 or 25 minutes each way is balanced by having a teacher who actually understands and teaches the mechanics that I believe are correct. It's crazy how few of them seem to get it right, and even crazier that I stumbled onto her by accident before I ever even knew what internal rotation was.

Jul 14, 2008
That's basically what I was thinking. Then after I posted this she asked who my instructor was, and I told her. She responded, "I do not teach the same style as her!" lol So that is pretty blatant. Here is a screen shot she sent me of her follow through which also helped (got these after I posted too).

View attachment 9592

It ain't what is "looks like" when it's done. It's how it "gets there" that matters.

"Staying behind the ball and following through" can be interpreted many ways. In the hands of a good instructor it means something completely different then "pushing the ball" with the hand on top at 9:00 and finishing by "snapping up with the elbow". (which is NOT what Amanda does).

That fact that she sent you this picture and said she doesn't like her students to turn their hand over means she has NO IDEA how Amanda got to the position in the picture. That is EXACTLY how "HE" evolved. People see how the finished looks and figure the way to get there is to push the ball and snap up with the elbow.........

I would simply send her back this gif with her own quote about not turning the hand over.

Amanda_powerdrive_pitchingx_zps65d457af.gif

This one is even better. Thanks Knight........

amanda_arm_follow_zpsyc1fso8j.gif

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
We decided officially tonight to stick with our current PC despite the extra distance. I figure the extra 20 or 25 minutes each way is balanced by having a teacher who actually understands and teaches the mechanics that I believe are correct. It's crazy how few of them seem to get it right, and even crazier that I stumbled onto her by accident before I ever even knew what internal rotation was.

This a GREAT opportunity for your DD and yourself. Let her learn how to budget her time and do homework on the way home to the lesson. That way it won't be new to her when she has to do it later on. It'll give you a chance to help her with it. You'll have some uninterrupted mom and DD time. On the way home you can talk with her about what she learned that day at the lesson. Include her in the plans on how to work on what she learned to reinforce the new knowledge. It will give her a chance to really own her pitching if she is involved with the planning.

If you look at the ride as drudgery she will too. Make it just a necessary part of her learning how to do something special.

Good Luck

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I've seen her before and I'm curious about the Tincher method. Don't know much about it. But that's even further from me. I'm way west of Atlanta, west of Marietta.

I am not an expert on all of the different "methods", but we have been happy with the results we have gotten with Adrienne Chery.