Help me interpret this answer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Ok, I sent her the gif and said this is what I meant about internal rotation. She said she knows what that is and it's all well and good for tall girls with long arms but doesn't work for shorter girls because they need more spin on the ball to get speed. That was what her answer boiled down to. Which doesn't make much sense since the gif is of a short girl. Lol

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Doesn't work for shorter girls?! ...because they need more spin on the ball to get speed?! Okay, that's enough information on this coach! Goodness!

As I said, invite that coach to come on here and get some real education. I triple-dog dare you!

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Ok, I sent her the gif and said this is what I meant about internal rotation. She said she knows what that is and it's all well and good for tall girls with long arms but doesn't work for shorter girls because they need more spin on the ball to get speed. That was what her answer boiled down to. Which doesn't make much sense since the gif is of a short girl. Lol

Yea what is Amanda 5'5"? Tall and lanky Amanda is not.

It would be kinda funny to just keep sending her GIFs of pitchers with a ....what about this one? And this one, and this one.....and then maybe a "come to think of it coach, the only video I can find of pitcher pitching the other way is when they throw a change-up"?

Or would that be mean?

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Jun 12, 2015
Maybe mean, maybe not. Probably more than I have the energy for either way. The disconnect is very interesting though.

Jun 18, 2010
Interesting
-she sends you a static image of Amanda with a forced HE follow through
-you send her a full clip of Amanda's pitching motion
-she says IR is only for tall girls

From Amanda's website:

You don’t have to be 6 ft tall to throw the ball in the upper 60’s. I know for a fact that this is not true. How am I so certain? Because I did it. It didn’t come easy and it didn’t come on my own. With a strong work ethic and amazing pitching coaches growing up, especially one who taught me some of the BEST fast pitch mechanics from age 9-13, it can most definitely happen.

For someone under 6 ft tall or 5’10 or even 5’8, to throw in the upper 60’s, you’re going to have to have solid mechanics, especially with the lower half of your body. Gaining MPH in your pitch comes from a great delivery, a solid foundation of base mechanics and using your lower half the correct way.

I want to tell you about my mechanics as I take you through a slow motion video and explain through each frame exactly what I am doing. I also draw lines, circles and arrows for a complete video analysis. Enjoy! Let me know what you think and if you have questions!

OSTRICH-HEAD-IN-SAND-1.jpg

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
grc,

Odds are you would be just as productive discussing this with a fence post. Odds are you aren't going to get anywhere with this coach.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
My first instinct that would make me feel instantly better is to continue to comment, send gifs, etc. etc, to this coach since you know she doesn't know what she is talking about. She doesn't know IR or she thinks it isn't the "way to pitch".

Then, I would sleep on it, and wake up knowing the right answer is to say "thank you for the information" and move on down the road in a different direction. It always feels good to get the "you are wrong" and is an immediate gratification. However, down the road when you run into her at a tournament you will wish you would have said nothing but "thank you".

As Doug said above, and I can speak from experience, you are best served to move on as any further discussion is really futile at this point.

I often am a student of my own words above but the older I get the more I know this is the right answer. I still want to "tell them like it is" but I now know (again from experience) it doesn't pay off.

Good luck, keep searching, and respect the lack of knowledge that many have when it comes to pitching and life in general. It is likely not their fault (in some cases it is) but don't be the one to point it out to them.......unless they ask for help or until they realize they need help. Just my two cents and that sounded just like Stuart Smalley. Geez......
stuart smalley.jpg

Jun 12, 2015
Yep, I'm done. I mostly sent her the gif (which I was very nice about) for the people here who wanted me to ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516