Help a first time coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Play a game of wiffle ball after practice. Use one of those big barrel red plastic bats. The girls love that. Just let them know that it was because they had a good practice and thats why your playing it. Get a couple of parents involved too. Only allow three pitches and break the girls up evenly.

Nov 15, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought a Dora How-to video would be a great idea.;) I was just looking for something to give them a head start so when we start telling them what to do they kinda understand why. Thanks again for the help, nice community you got here.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
When mine was 5 we played a version of kickball / wiffle ball. I pitched, she batted. On the hit she had to run to the birdbath and back before I fielded the ball and threw her out ala kickball. She got pretty good at dodging the ball and paying attention to it instead of being afraid of it. Definitely carried over in helping her to not be afraid to catch the ball. Then she would pitch and I would run. Helped her in throwing the ball kinda sorta hard at something vs just lobbing the ball. Wasn't long before we had all the girls on our block playing this game. Eventually we added in the tree for 1st, birdbath was 2nd and gate was third. You could still throw and get them out by hitting them.

Don't know if there is anything in this for you to use but what great memories. They grow up too quick.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
One recommendation I would make is to get the parents involved. From my experience with girls this age is that if the kid is there at least 1, and maybe 2, of their parents are there.

Incorporate the parents into your practice plan. You might have to brow beat them a first but a lot of the things you will be working on do not take softball “expertise” , just an adult around paying attention to make sure no one gets hurt.

If you have 12 girls at practice, you will have at least 10 adults there. It can be hard but take advantage of them.

This fall we had a girl on our Team that recently moved to our country. Their family did not know what a softball was but her friends were playing softball so their girl wanted to play too. After overcoming her parents objections, I do not know anything about softball, they know more about softball then most the people on the other Team. I know one of them is going to be a practice; I discuss with them what I am looking for, leave them alone, and then monitor. The other benefit is her parents are no longer afraid of softball and play with their DD outside of practice.

Jul 26, 2010
Eh, just make sure they're having fun and playing safe so they keep coming back.

There is a decent cd-rom called "where's the play" for computers that's designed for kids around 6-9 years old. It's not inspiring and not a good way to kick off the season though.

-W

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Get the Learn to Play Program from Softball Canada.

This program was *specifically* developed to be a super fun, adapted program to teach the 5-10 years the game. There are three levels full of drills, lesson plans, progressions, etc.

It is LOVED by elementary PE teachers too.

As an educator myself, I can tell you that this program is an amazing resource for anybody working with young children and wants to introduce the program in a fun, progressive, adapted way.

I am actually presenting the concept to elementary PE teachers next week at an PE teachers' conference.

Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2009
I cannot get varsity/a ball girls to pay attention to a video.

The best video for you would be the old vhs by candrea basic infield fundamentals.

Dec 2, 2010
One tip for you... wear a cup, if you are a coaching a Tball team, you will catch an errant bat end in the wrong area more than once this season. Good Luck!

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
Hi if you're still checking this thread... To add to all these great suggestions use some games that are actually drills in disguise. My 10u team still loved these:

Bucket Drill: Divide the girls into two lines with an empty ball bucket next to each line. Two coaches roll grounders to each line. The girls field the grounder and drop it in the bucket, go to the end of line and sit down. Last girl in line grabs the bucket, runs it back to the coach, then runs back to the end of their line and sits down. Team that finishes first wins.

Target Practice: Set up a throwing target (beach ball on a batting tee or a small cone on two stacked ball buckets). 2 points for a direct hit on the target, 1 point for hitting the tee). Can also be done with two teams and two targets.

Or come up with your own.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1