Help a first time coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2010
In the spring I will coach my 5yr olds t-ball team. It will be my first year as a coach. It is my daughters 2nd year but there will be many 1st year players. Does anyone know of a good DVD that explains the overall concept of the game to children this young? I would like to play something like this for them at the first practice.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I've never seen a Dora t-ball video so you may be out of luck.

Teach the the basic concepts of:

How to throw
How to catch
How to swing
How to field
How to run to 1st and through the base (vs running to 3rd)
When you need to advance on the bases
How you get ice cream after every game

Then start it all over again next year as they'll forget most of what you covered.

May 25, 2010
I would like to play something like this for them at the first practice.
Kudos to you for taking the reins, but keep in mind that the girls are out there because they want to hit, throw, and hopefully catch. They don't want to watch a DVD that isn't 'Dora', etc. Coaches should study available DVDs, but you shouldn't expect your 5yos to be interested in that.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Patience, patience, patience! As mentioned, forget the video. Keep it very simple. The following may take several practices or longer and should be done throughout the season.

Catching:

- With new players, have them toss up a wiffle ball / tennis ball in the air just above their head and try to catch it wth two hands. Once they can do it consistently, have them catch it with one hand, then the other hand.
- after they get better with it, you can do the same thing with the glove on.
- introduce the softball using same drill

Throwing:

- keep it basic, show them the four-seam grip, and get them in the scarecrow position and have them throw the ball to the coaches only. You should not have the girls throw to each other until they are able to actually catch a ball. Bring ice to every practice, some girls will get hit it the face occasionally.

Fielding:

Teach the girls the "alligator" position and roll the ball slowly to them, making sure they keep the glove down near the ground. Once they have that down, you can slowly hit some grounders to them. Next, they can field the ball and throw it to first base either with a coach there or a player that can catch reasonably well.

Hitting:

Use the "T" often and show the basic set-up for the batter: good grip, bat just off shoulder, hands back, knees bent. I've noticed that many of the girls use only their upperbody to swing, so when appropriate have them get the lower body into the swing. Remember, it will take them years to be a consistent hitter, so teaching the basics is all that is needed at this age. Once they are hitting fine off of the T, start coach pitching from the front, making sure to correct swing flaws.

Baserunnig:

- make sure that they run all the way through first base and are stepping on the orange safety bag everytime. Also, when they set-up at first base, be consistent with your method, either rocker style (i prefer) or back foot on bag. Make sure they practice leading off every time if your league allows it. Get them in good habits early on so it become second nature to them.

Did I mention patience? Lastly, you have to make it FUN for them . Constant praise, fun drills, stickers, and lots of water breaks. Good luck!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Primary safety rule (whether game or practice): Only 1 bat in the field of play AND 1 coach completely dedicated/responsible for the bat at ALL times. Let the batter hold the bat, but the coach holds the barrel until they confirm that its safe for the bat to be swung!

Feb 6, 2009
One of the first things they teach in the ASA coaching cert class is that kids learn it by doing. Keep the lectures short and get them involed. I agree, watch the videos yourself and learn how to demonstrate and get them involved.

Quick piece of advice. Make sure all the kids know never to swing a bat unless the coach tells them it's OK. Bats on ground until you say so. Kids love to swing bats lol

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Have the team decide as a group on what snack the team parents should bring each week as a treat after the game.

Whiffle balls are great for teaching hitting and fielding...no one gets hurt.

Have lots of patience. Every 30 minutes have a "time-out" so they can all have their sneakers retied at the same time.

Feb 6, 2009
Great advice lol. I wrote mine and missed taht you already had given simlar advice.
Primary safety rule (whether game or practice): Only 1 bat in the field of play AND 1 coach completely dedicated/responsible for the bat at ALL times. Let the batter hold the bat, but the coach holds the barrel until they confirm that its safe for the bat to be swung!

Jan 20, 2010
In the spring I will coach my 5yr olds t-ball team. It will be my first year as a coach. It is my daughters 2nd year but there will be many 1st year players. Does anyone know of a good DVD that explains the overall concept of the game to children this young? I would like to play something like this for them at the first practice.

Try to make sure they all have fun and want to keep playing. Do you best to teach them what you can but at that age the best thing you can do is have them like softball and come back next year and the years after that.

Feb 9, 2009
A league of their Own.

Well..minus the smoking, sexual innuendo, spitting, crotch grabbing, cursing, drinking, dirty dancing, and sneaking out of the house.
Other than that, it's a GREAT DVD for girls who play ball!!